Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a touring bike that has an Ortlieb handlebar bag mounted on it. I use Dinotte lights which normally mount on the handlebars next to the stem. But when the bag is mounted it gets in way of the lights. I looked at some of those clamp on extenders that give you a place to mount a bike computer or something but they are too short to clear the bag.

Currently when I've done a couple of tours and I had to mount the light I ended up mounting it on the drops, but this takes away using the drops for a hand position and I find that really bothers me(especially at the end of a long hard day of riding). I've thought about using the brake hole in the crown to somehow mount a short length of pvc pipe or something to mount the lights. I've gotten a second light since the photo was taken and use a y-connector so that both can be used at once for even more light.

Any ideas about mounting the lights?

· Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
FatTireFred said:
no helmet mount? what about something on top of the bag?
When I first got the light I tried the helmet mount but could never get it to point the light in the forward direction, it would just end up pointing down.

Not sure how I'd mount them on top of the bag and I would think it would be hard to get the lights pointing in the right direction.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Fork?

Just tossing out ideas, but since you've got two lights, maybe you could find a way to mount one on each fork blade, just below the brakes.

· Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
Doesn't the light heat up the bar tape? Fire hazard?

Also, if you keep it there, I would probably mount it on the traffic side.

I did this for my rear dinotte.

· No Crybabies
11,692 Posts

· Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DrRoebuck said:
Doesn't the light heat up the bar tape? Fire hazard?

Also, if you keep it there, I would probably mount it on the traffic side.

I did this for my rear dinotte.
The light does heat up but it's not really hot enough to melt the bar tape.

I tried a similar device to the clamp from Performance mentioned in another post here but when mounting it on the handlebar it didn't get high enough to clear the handlebar bag.

· Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
buck-50 said:
That thing is genius! I've been looking for something similar after reading about the plastic knob mounts failing and sending your light into the ground.

Also, I've found if you mount it too high on your bars, it's hard to make out pot holes directly in front of you as the light grazes over street imperfections.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.