Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a decent pair of durable headphones to use with my iPod for when I study, run, ride etc.

I've gone through 3 or 4 pairs now and they all seem to fall apart when I sweat on them. I've been using the kind that you place in your ear canal and they seem to do a great job isolating noise and delivering the goods. The problem is they are all covered in sweat by the end of my ride, run, workout or whatever that they begin to corrode, especially if the phones have detachable cables; the sweat seeps its way into the cable housing and corrodes it from the inside out until eventually they just crumble apart.

I've use Ultimate Ears headphones in the past and the sound awesome, but they're not as durable as I'd like. Granted they were not made to take this kind of abuse, but still...I'm getting frustrated.

Any suggestions?

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Hmm... My friend has the exact same problem as you do - he breaks the many that he's bought over time : Sony, Philips, Nike, Apple, Sennheiser etc etc.

I think they are meant to be abused but not too much I suppose - whatever brand they are.

Sorry, no help.

But, if you're looking for something not for exercising, then I recommend v-moda and sennheiser. I love the in-ear pieces : fantastic sound quality and really great as well. Not too expensive either.

As far as pieces for running - maybe get some cheap ones that you don't mind trashing and another better set for non sweaty uses?

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
I'm a fan of the Shure E-2cs for IEMs. Especially with a couple of mods mentioned in the head-fi forums. Also check out the Koss KSC-75's, they are awesome sounding on ear phones for around 12 bucks from Amazon, highly recommended by head-fi. The missus just got a pair and they blew me away with the sound quality. Easily better than anything I've heard under about 50 bucks. Just buy a couple of extra pairs at that price.

·
...?
1,481 Posts
I have these.... http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/inkd-p-126.html

Sound quality is better than the earbuds that came with my iPod, and they are pretty secure in your ears, so not likely to fall out while running. For $20 if you do manage to destroy them, its not a huge loss

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I have the same problem with sweat.
I use SONY MDR-W25.
They are cheap $12 but work great. The headband fits under helmet nicely.
The ear bub is shaped/designed so sweat runs away from the bud and down the tip of the head piece toward the wire and not the bud.
I have not sweated these out in 6 months. Got off eBay. Bought several at once, but 2 & 3 are still in original container.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have been exercising (not generally on the road) with my Ultimate Ears for a couple of years now. The trick, I found, is to use the disposable foam inserts. They are actually easier to seal, and they are more comfy than the normal inserts. Then you just trash them after they get nasty, which is pretty much after each workout. You can get them at http://www.earphonesolutions.com/uleasufoeart.html .

Not sure how anything like this holds up to a long ride, but I also suspect the standard disclaimers about riding with headphones apply as well. I do listen to books sometimes on longer rides though, so I'd be a bit of a hypocrite to say you really shouldn't. I use Yuin PK2 earbuds for that application though (http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/earbud/yuin-pk2.php). They are durable, sound nice, and they don't isolate as much, so I can hear what's going on around me better than the ear canal cans.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
go here:
www.headphone.com
headroom doesnt sell any crap. give them a ring if you arent sure what to buy and you'll get all the info you need. you may be able to find phones 10 bucks cheaper somewhere else but these guys will take care of you.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I can't speak to their durability during exercise, but Shure makes some really nice stuff for the price, and I haven't heard anything about them spontaneously exploding.

For a lower price point headphone, JVC makes a line called "marshmallow". They use a foam, much like that of an earplug, which you can compress before inserting them into your ear canal. They expand to give a good fit, and do a pretty decent job of blocking out ambient noise, although they aren't a true noise canceling headphone.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
fsdork said:
I can't speak to their durability during exercise, but Shure makes some really nice stuff for the price, and I haven't heard anything about them spontaneously exploding.

For a lower price point headphone, JVC makes a line called "marshmallow". They use a foam, much like that of an earplug, which you can compress before inserting them into your ear canal. They expand to give a good fit, and do a pretty decent job of blocking out ambient noise, although they aren't a true noise canceling headphone.
I forgot about the marshmallows, head-fi really likes those as well.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
For spin classes or anything else I've been using the Sony MDR-71SL headphones.

I have a tendency to destroy headphones but the Sony's keep going and cover the
two important criteria: they sound great and they keep going.

But here's one trick: buy two pairs and rotate them so the wear is more evenly
distributed. The bass on these headphones is particularly great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts