Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been covered somewhat before, but I've decided that (except for gym use) I hate "in the ear" headphones. I just can't stand having to futz with them all the time to get em to sound OK, plus I just hate having stuff jammed into my ears.

What is a decent sounding headphone that can be driven from an Ipod/MP3 WITHOUT the need for an additional headphone amp? Features that would be nice would be noise isolation, comfort, good sound. Want to spend $100 or less so no high end phones here. And I know the goddamn Etymotics that go in your ear are the shiznit, but I don't want in-ear. My in-ear Sonys sound good now, but I really hate them because they are in-ear.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
BJ, i don't have an answer for you, but am interseted in seeing some responses, since i feel the same--rather have semi-traditional headphones for when i'm on a plane, etc.

anybody have input??? how about RW? where's he hiding?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I've got a ghetto set of $20 earmuffs from Target (I think that they're sony) that sound pretty good. Use 'em all the time to plug into the TV when I ride the trainer in the house. I'd think you'd probably be happy with anything in the $20-$50 range. Why not take yer player down to Circuit City and do a little research. They're your ears after all!

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
shawndoggy said:
I've got a ghetto set of $20 earmuffs from Target (I think that they're sony) that sound pretty good. Use 'em all the time to plug into the TV when I ride the trainer in the house. I'd think you'd probably be happy with anything in the $20-$50 range. Why not take yer player down to Circuit City and do a little research. They're your ears after all!
happy belated birthday, beyotch. where were you for SD?

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
Grado Sr-80's, or higher.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Check out HeadRoom's selection guide, then Google for reviews of some of the models you like.

I replaced my iPod Shuffle earbuds with Sennheiser MX 500s and they sound much better, but neither of them have a lot of bass. The MX 450s have too much bass and sound dull. I also have Grado SR60s and they are incredible sounding, but bulky and kind of uncomfortable.

·
Life Coach
2,523 Posts
I'll second breezing around HeadRoom's site--lots of good info there.

But, more specifically, I just picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD202 'phones off of Amazon for $20 based on HeadRoom's recs. Amazing sound off of an ipod and perfect for work where they might (will) get banged around, lost, or stolen.

As for a plane, I wouldn't buy anything that wasn't noise cancelling. My experience is with Sony's, but they're in-ear and that's off your list.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,738 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I know this has been covered somewhat before, but I've decided that (except for gym use) I hate "in the ear" headphones. I just can't stand having to futz with them all the time to get em to sound OK, plus I just hate having stuff jammed into my ears.

What is a decent sounding headphone that can be driven from an Ipod/MP3 WITHOUT the need for an additional headphone amp? Features that would be nice would be noise isolation, comfort, good sound. Want to spend $100 or less so no high end phones here. And I know the goddamn Etymotics that go in your ear are the shiznit, but I don't want in-ear. My in-ear Sonys sound good now, but I really hate them because they are in-ear.
I got a pair of Phillips noise-cancelling from targét-$60 sound quite good...espec when in steerage next to the jet-engines:)

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Check out Radio Shack. Some of their top of the line headphones are pretty good... comfortable, sound good and not too expensive. Plus, their extended warranty option is only a few bucks and gets you free replacements pretty much regardless of the problem or cause of it.

I know you said you don't like the in-ear type, neither do it, but I have a set of Sony in-ear headphones that are pretty remarkable for $50. They come with three different sized, very soft silicone ear buds that fit very snug in your ear. They very effectively drown out background noise like an earplug would and they have really good bass response even at very high volume.

I use them all of the time when I travel, when I'm on the trainer and when I mow the lawn. Comfortable enough that I can fall asleep with them in and, like I said, I hate crap in my ear too.

How's the guitar coming along? Learn any new songs?

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Maybe not what you are looking for, but I use cheap sony headphones that clip over my ear and stay in place. They cost about $10 and I use them with my Creative Zen when I commute. I had problems with any other headphones that would be in the way of my helmet or the retention part on the back of my helmet. Not deluxe, but sound pretty good and if I catch them on something and break them, ten bucks at radio shack and good to go.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
KenB said:
How's the guitar coming along? Learn any new songs?
I'm still plugging away--30-45 minutes a day. I think I'm gonna need to pay up for some "in-person" lessons soon though as I feel like I've hit a bit of a brick wall. Can't make my fingers move any faster than they are now and it's not fast enough. Have most of the major chords down now and can even play an F if I really concentrate. Really hate those bar chords though. They are tough. Gonna teach myself some power chords next so I can bang out some punk/grunge numbers without having to play whole chords. Slowly learning notes and scales. Playing E Phyrigian, Blues, Chromatic on a regular basis, but still not very fast.

·
Registered
180 Posts
FTF said:
Grado Sr-80's, or higher.

I have a pair of SR-80s and they sound great, but they can be uncomfortable when worn for extended periods. Senheisers are nice, and for iPod travelling use, I think the noise cancelling ones would be great.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts