Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys
I ordered some parts from Performance Bike.com and congratulated myself on saving big time. They sent the order in 3 packages (a wheelset - 1 package each and some groupo components in the 3rd). Shipping was FedEx ground. No other alternative on their web ordering but FedEx air. Packages arrive, then a week later I get a bill from FedEx for the GST (7%) which comes to around US$50 and $110 in fees! $110! That is just robbery! They take $5.75 for paying the duty (which is zero) and tax on your behalf then $30-$40 in 'brokerage fees' FOR EACH PACKAGE! These should be called 'arbitrary rip-off fees'! I got stuff from Pricepoint via USPS air. They arrived faster and just charge CAD$5 in handling. You do the math. DO NOT CHOOSE FEDEX SHIPPING! Now Performance Bike tell me you can request USPS only if you phone the order in. It's a little late now I've got to cough up $110! To add insult - one of the wheels Performance sent me was so badly scratched I sent it back. Looked like someone had taken a tire off it with a metal tire lever. I reckon they thought "lets try sending this rubbish to the Canadian guy and see if he lives with it". I mean, no way you could have missed this damage. I am seriously not impressed and doubt I will shop with them again. Any others with bad experiences out there? Also any idea if it's possble to get out of paying these crazy FedEx fees. I didn't agree to them as far as I'm aware and knew nothing about them until the bill landed. Thanks for reading if you go this far.
Props to Pricepoint.com, by the way, for all parts in perfect condition and for using USPS.

·
Registered
178 Posts
call fedex

Same thing happened to me when I ordered 2 large items about a year ago. Order arrived in 2 seperate boxes and they dinged me with GST and brokerage fees on each box. I called Fedex and explained that the 2 boxes were part of only 1 order. They fixed everything and basically eliminated the brokerage fees on the 2nd box. Can't hurt to call and see if they'll help you out.

·
papa sboak
1,009 Posts
Keep posting

Nothing against Performance Bike at all (I bought 2 of their cheapie gloves- yellow & red). I usually use a LBS for most things since they actually work on my bike & help me with knowledge and stuff. They have 2 stores w/in an hour of me. The one in Tustin, CA is really nice. The one is Santa Monica, CA needs some help with customer service. Been in there 3 times & won't go back. Used to be a Supergo. Whatever.

Although I reside in USA (luv it here), I hope that people keep posting and sharing their lessons & experiences. Hopefully it'll help to keep others from getting burned. I ordered some gloves piggybacking on a friend's order (he has a membership thingy) and was told I could only return them online (not in the store) through the mail. I'm NOT paying shipping for crappy $15 gloves. I'm not purchasing online anymore. I bought something from my LBS & when I decided I didn't want it anymore (unused), he said, "Okay" and gave me a cash refund. Would rather pay more for the lack of headache.

Keep sharing, as internet sales tend to be faceless and anonymous. "I think you talked with... sorry, we can't help you." Don't want to deal with having to try to return something to someone that doesn't even take resp. for anything.

Love & support for REI. Expensive (full price), but you can't beat the guarantee.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, you learned your lesson: ALWAYS SHIP TO CANADA VIA USPS! Airmail and Global Priority are best. I wish I could just spam this all over the internet as I hate that everyone has to learn the hard way. My worst was when some fool shipped me a set of golf clubs via some commercial transporter. Just getting it to the airport ended up costing $100 + $50 fees AND they would only have me pick it up or send it via same day UPS ($40).

I thought I got an amazing deal on a set of golf clubs and ended up spending more than if I'd bought them new. Then the seller started whining about how much he had to pay for shipping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brokerage fees

The same applies for shipment by UPS. Stick to the mail and you will only be charged a small service charge by Canada Post. I learned the lesson a couple of years ago when a jersey I bought for 50 bucks doubled in price with all the fees charged by UPS!

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
Hmmmm you've only got 5 posts to your credit or I would have said YOU HAVEN'T BEEN PAYING ATTENTION!

It's a well know fact, to anyone arouind here that has been paying attention - deal with NO shipper other than USPS coming through to Canada Post. My 30+ years of importing bike parts has proved this hundreds of times. The odd time that I've been caught out, the monster brokerage bill gives me the jolt that I need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts