Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, All

I took apart the headset on my Volagi Liscio today after noticing a gritty sensation when turning the handlebars. I noticed that the upper and lower head bearings look like they're getting some rust. I cleaned up the bearings, seals, and cap as best I could and reapplied some grease, but couldn't get rid of the gritty sensation. I also made sure that I didn't over-tighten the cap bolt. So I'm looking to replace the headset bearings to see if this fixes the problem.

Metal Circle Silver Kitchen utensil Still life photography

I've been going over Volagi's data sheet for the bike, and they list it as 1 1/8" tapered fork / head tube with an integrated Headset. I took out a caliper to measure things:

Upper Bearing
  • Outer Diameter: 32.40 mm
  • Inner Diameter: 21.87 mm
  • Height: 6.67mm

Lower Bearing
  • Outer Diameter: 49.03 mm
  • Inner Diameter: 36.83 mm
  • Height: 6.67mm

I couldn't find any visible markings / part numbers on the bearings. I've looked at Cane Creek's and Wheels Manufacturing sites. As best I can tell, the Lower Bearing is fairly close to 1-3/8” Internal Headset 36 X 45.

What I can't find is anything close to the upper headset bearing.

I'll try filling out Cane Creek's headset finder info tonight after getting the measurements from the head tube itself, but I thought I'd ask others who may be familiar with this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
The angles are critical. And even when you're working with the correct type of bearing there are differences. For example some Campy type 45 degree bearings are taller than others.

Best bet is to ask Volagi.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. I just got a hold of Volagi. They're sending me replacement bearings at a cheaper price than what Cane Creek, Wheels Manufacturing, and Ritchey offer.

Looks like I got my measurement for the upper bearing wrong. Here's what they gave me:
- Upper Bearing follows Cane Creek's IS41 (1-1/8") x 45° - PT-R408 (ø41 x 6.5 x 45°)
- Lower Bearing follows Cane Creek's IS49/37 (1-38") x 36° - PT-R429 (ø49 x 7 x 36°)

Also, the folks at Cane Creek and Wheels Manufacturing have been *very* helpful as well.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
I cleaned up the bearings, seals, and cap as best I could and reapplied some grease, but couldn't get rid of the gritty sensation.
In many cases you can pry out the seals with a sharp instrument (razor blade, tip of Stanley knife, etc.), flush out the old grease, repack the grease, reinstall the seals and have "good as new" bearings. If the bearings didn't get damaged, this most often works.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Volagi is great for this kind of stuff. I worked with Matt Swett on identifying a replacement bottom bracket for my Viaje Ti. I was upgrading to Di2 and the stock BB had a delrin sleeve that would not allow the wires through the shell.

They sent me a Wheels Mfg replacement that had a sleeve with holes in it. Ultimately I didn't use it (I chose to go with a Torqtite ($$)) as it has a thinner sleeve, and just worked better, but Matt and Robert and the crew at Volagi were very helpful and generous with their time helping me get it sorted out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.