Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a used set of Record Hiddenset Headset and wanted to clean it. can I wash is water and wipe it clean of all the old grease and degrease it again and then use it on my build ? what type of grease do I need to get. thank you

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Clean and lube

nismosr said:
I have a used set of Record Hiddenset Headset and wanted to clean it. can I wash is water and wipe it clean of all the old grease and degrease it again and then use it on my build ? what type of grease do I need to get. thank you
Grease is inherently water resistant, so there's no point in using water to remove the old grease. If you're really dedicated, you can use a solvent (like mineral spirits, keosene, etc.) to remove the grease. I just wipe the grease out with a clean rag - no solvent needed. Any quality grease will work just fine.

· Registered
8 Posts
if you don't have them, Petrol or WD40 work too

if you have a compressor, after soaking them, blow them clean with the air - wear safety stuff though. Finnish off with a dry rag.

if you don't have grease, go to your local Car parts place and get a small tube of wheel grease, should be cheap enough and will do the job fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.