Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've installed a Cane Creek Forty integrated headset on my new Lynskey frame. I've followed the mfg. instructions exactly. With everything installed, there is a small gap (1mm) between the top of my head tube and the bottom of my bearing/dust cap. I don't know what that part is actually called.

I have attached a picture and I'm wondering if this is normal, or if I have done something wrong somewhere. Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Did you get the right bearings for your frame?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Assuming everything is seated properly, and we are looking at a tightened down headset, then yes, the gap is a little on the high side. Nothing dysfunctional though. You could send that to Lynskey to see if they have any comment.

We need a few other Lynskey owners here to comment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I received a response from Cane Creek and this seems to be normal. Their exact words were "After the preload is set; a small amount of clearance between the head tube and the top cap is required to prevent binding."

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
So I received a response from Cane Creek and this seems to be normal. Their exact words were "After the preload is set; a small amount of clearance between the head tube and the top cap is required to prevent binding."
Yes, but that is a little more than normal. It's cuz Lynskey didn't make the bearing seat quite as deep as they should have. What's the aluminum strip in the middle? Instead of making the bearing seat in the Ti headtube they bond an alloy bearing seat in? Why even do an integrated headset then? Woulda been better to just press normal cups into the Ti headtube. Every time I see that brand mentioned it's something I'm unimpressed by.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Yes, but that is a little more than normal. It's cuz Lynskey didn't make the bearing seat quite as deep as they should have. What's the aluminum strip in the middle? Instead of making the bearing seat in the Ti headtube they bond an alloy bearing seat in? Why even do an integrated headset then? Woulda been better to just press normal cups into the Ti headtube. Every time I see that brand mentioned it's something I'm unimpressed by.
Now you mention it, that alloy (?), different colored metal under the top cap looks offset to the left, from the Ti headtube. Surely that can't be right either.

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
Yup, I see that too now. Sloppy control of outside diameter tolerances but aside from aesthetics it shouldn't matter. Sorry to the owner, I'm not trying to hurt your feelings about your purchase but I credit nice work and critique bad work.

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
Okay, I have a solution:
Aftermarket headset bearing covers exist in different the heights to go lower than stock or keep your height but eliminate spacers. Different ones hang down around the sides farther than others, that's why they come with thin shims to put between the top cap and wedge if the cap touches the frame. Maybe the Cane Creek cap has shorter "skirts" than some of these ebay carbon ones. Look at its underside, then compare to others. Find one with a deeper skirt and put shims under it till it turns cleanly.
Product Light Circle Electric blue Metal

·
Registered
187 Posts
I do not have a Lynskey, but Ti frame with 44mm head tube and Chris King Inset
headset and until I properly Pre-Loaded it the gap was similar. After pre-load it is about a finger nail gap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.