Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Tonkabaydog
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently researched a about a dozen different brands and models geometries in an effort to better understand frame geometry. The more race oriented frames consistently had a shorter head tube height. For example, a typical 52'cm frame whad effective top tubes in the 52.2- 53.9 cm range. The more aggressive race oriented bikes had 11-12cm headset heights with the more relaxed riding bikes in the 14.5cm range.

So my question is: Do longer headset heights imply a more relaxed position?

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
longer head tubes allow a more upright position, assuming everything else is the same (BB height/drop, fork length, headset stack, # spacers, stem rise/length, HTA, etc)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Expanding on what FatTireFred has said taller headtubes also allow fewer spacers to achieve the same saddle to bar drop. Obvious I I know, but worth mentioning.

Additionally if you're long in the legs and short in the torso like I am taller headtubes allow you to buy a smaller frame (with shorter top tube) and still achieve a normal (racing oriented) saddle to bar drop.

So in short you can have less saddle to bar drop (all things equal) or you can achieve other effects such as the two listed above depending on your purpose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts