Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I am very new to road biking and have what is probably a simple question. My headset needs to be replaced (probably just bearings) but whole thing will be replaced. Anyhow, its a 1 1/8th inch size tube. My question is, is there a specific type I need to buy? Are they pretty universal? The current one says FSA is-2 on the top cup. It had a can creek cap on it for some reason. Any help would be appreciated. If I'm leaving out any important info, please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I just noticed that the FSA Orbit IS-2 specs say "fit directly into a 45mm OD headtube". The one you linked to says "For 50mm OD headtube", so they're different.

I'd find out the specs for your headset before ordering.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
What makes you think it needs to be replaced? I realize you could have bought an old used bike but if it's new like you are it's doubtful it needs to be replaced.

Also, I wouldn't put much faith in what the top cap says. Note how the one PJ linked to doesn't come with a a top cap. Bike shops building bikes have a tendency to just put any top cap they have lying around on bikes not necessarily one that comes with or matches the head set.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What makes you think it needs to be replaced? I realize you could have bought an old used bike but if it's new like you are it's doubtful it needs to be replaced.

Also, I wouldn't put much faith in what the top cap says. Note how the one PJ linked to doesn't come with a a top cap. Bike shops building bikes have a tendency to just put any top cap they have lying around on bikes not necessarily one that comes with or matches the head set.
Its older, and can feel it in the bearings

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
It's impossible to know without knowing what type of headset you have. Is it fully integrated, semi-integrated, etc. The link you posted to the bike in question is a semi-integrated headset and needs cups that are pressed in.

Headset Standards | Park Tool

1 - 11 of 11 Posts