Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can detect a little play in my headset even after I've tightened the bolt as much as I dare. It's a hidden HS and I'm wondering if it's time to replace it, or is there some adjustment that can be done. There's approx. 10,000kms on it.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
All I know is threaded, but...

All my bikes have threaded headsets, which apparently fell from favor because they were easy to work on, lasted forever and didn't cost much. But if you go to www.parktool.com, or just google "headset maintenance" or something similar, you'll probably find all the advice you need.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
as much as you dare?

One of the major reasons for integrated headset problems is failure to properly tighten the top cap to preload the bearings. It takes a lot more tension than old syle caged-ball headsets. If you've been using the HS for years with a loose adjustment, you may have damaged the frame. Some frames have replaceable bearing seats and some don't. If the seats are damaged and not replaceable, then you'll have to hunt out a shop with the cutting tools to repair the seats.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.