Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a new 06 Raleigh Prestige from my local bike shop and have had to have the had set tightned twice now. It seems to be holding but if I pick the bike up and move the handlebars it creeks a bit. This bike came with a Ritchey carbon drop in headset and has carbon spacers with some kind of expansion ring to tighten it. The steer tube is carbon and I was just concerned if maybe it was overtightened the second go around at the bike shop. The bike shop owner acted as if he had not seen this type of set-up before.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Does it always creak at the same spot (eg when the bars are 20 degrees to the left...)? Do you feel it binding at all, or is it smooth?

I had trouble once with an internal headset where the top cap was sitting too low and would rub sometimes on the top of the head tube. Check that you can see a 1mm gap between your top cap and headtube all the way around, and make sure that the gap is even. Same thing for the fork. Another thing that can cause trouble is if one of the spacers or the stem itself is not perfectly faced (ie if they are not uniform thickness vertically), as this can cause an uneven loading of the headset and can lead to creaks / groans (this happened to a friend of mine... his steering would creak with his Cinelli Solido, but when we switched the stem to my Deda Newton it went away... we did this swap a couple of times to make sure, and it was definitely the stem that was causing the trouble).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.