Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first off i did something really stoopid. i have a new bike and didnt fully cut down the fork and instead put a couple spacers in and planned to try the bars at a couple different levels on long rides. tonite i stoopidly put the bike in my work stand and removed the stem... fork slid a bit and now i cant get it back to where it was and have a fair amount of play in the headset/fork. i know, super stoopid. question is, will i need a headset press? i cant seem to get the fork fully set/inserted all the way. advice please.

edit: headset is chris king

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

There is nothing that will just slip out that won't also slip back in. If you're swapping spacers around, you may not have put as much back in as you took out. The steering tube must be 2-3mm below the top spacer; otherwise the bearings will not adjust. The top cap will just tighten against the steering tube instead of pressing against the top spacer.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thats not the case i need about 3 more mm to get all spacers back on. it feels like i cant get the steerer tube all the way back in and/or the top of the headset (upper headset cup) all the way down. when i get it close it still feels like i have fore-aft play.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
loudog said:
bumped this question
The upper headset caps on Chris King's can be very hard to push on - there is an o-ring inside it and sometimes it's tough to get it down all the way before putting the spacers on.

But that should not matter, if your steerer is 3mm shorter than the stack of the spacers and the stem, and you are properly tightening the bolt through the headset cap, it should all come together.

I don't think you're doing a really good job of explaining what your problem is. Your second response really doesn't make any sense in terms of the proper way to install a headset. Try explaining it again, or take some pictures.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.