Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a cheap replacement headset for my bike. It is a non-integrated 1 1/8" threadless headset that needs to be able to take rain, snow, and a bit of mud from off roading adventures. Does any body know of a cheap headset that will fit this bill?
Thanks

·
Registered
356 Posts
bikeuphill9 said:
I am in the market for a cheap replacement headset for my bike. It is a non-integrated 1 1/8" threadless headset that needs to be able to take rain, snow, and a bit of mud from off roading adventures. Does any body know of a cheap headset that will fit this bill?
Thanks
Probably the most cost-effective solution is to get an el-cheapo caged-ball headset and put a Lizard Skins neoprene protector on it. Make sure to overhaul the headset every other year or so.

I had a commuter I used for a few years with this system, and it worked great. I actually went even cheaper and used a segment of old MTB inner tube instead of a lizard skin. The tube made a nice tight seal, but it left a bit of gooey residue over time. I only put the tube on the bottom bearings; the top ones were fine without extra protection, even after a couple years of riding and parking in the rain and snow.

If you spend a little more, you can get a cartridge-bearing headset. With one of these, you don't have to worry about complete headset replacement when the cups and cones getting pitted or worn out -- you just drop in new bearings.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Tried the Internet?

I found some Cane Creek headsets with sealed bearings for about forty bucks. They were the Cane Creek with the number 2 as part of the model. The number 6 model is better but will cost you more. Can't remember which company but it was something likje AEbikes, Performance, Bikeman or Colorado Cyclist. There are many good deals out there, you just need to find them. Three years on my current Cane Creek without any problems. 1 1/8" normal threadless, black.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts