Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
Joined
·
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a thread a while ago about having to go in for a colonoscopy on Monday and today I was doing some research on how the new health care reform laws would change anything.

One of the big things, and something I've been trying to get details on, was how it changed preventative care.

I've got Blue Cross of CA, so if anyone knows what's going on with this, let me know. I've been looking around for info but I can't seem to find anything specific, so I just thought I'd drop a line in the Lounge to see if anyone had any info.

Gracias!


joe
 

·
haole from the mainland
Joined
·
5,962 Posts
The free preventative coverage only applies to new plans. Whenever your new plan year starts is when the colonoscopy should be free.

Funny, though. I'm supposed to get free mammograms. Oh, the mammogram appears to be free alright. But I still have to pay my share for the radiologist to actually read the mammogram. And I have to pay tax on his full charge.
 

·
Seat's not level
Joined
·
19,371 Posts
First you need to bribe your congressman in order to get an appointment...:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,389 Posts
BCBS. should be easy to find out. the new laws shouldn't affect you much at all to be honest..unless you're on your parents plan, under the age of 26, or are a kid with existing health conditions.

in B4 the move?!
 

·
Bacon!
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
It'll be interesting to see how they do this. I'll be they split it into ten different billing subcategories. That way the colonoscopy and doctor are "free" (I use that very loosely) while the nurses, facility, drug giver, CNAs, etc. are all billed separately.
 

·
Sticky Valentine
Joined
·
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jorgy said:
The free preventative coverage only applies to new plans. Whenever your new plan year starts is when the colonoscopy should be free.

Funny, though. I'm supposed to get free mammograms. Oh, the mammogram appears to be free alright. But I still have to pay my share for the radiologist to actually read the mammogram. And I have to pay tax on his full charge.

Damn. I don't think our new plans start till November. At least, I haven't been asked to fill out the new benefits form yet.



joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,389 Posts
CNA's/MA's won't be billed..

Ridgetop said:
It'll be interesting to see how they do this. I'll be they split it into ten different billing subcategories. That way the colonoscopy and doctor are "free" (I use that very loosely) while the nurses, facility, drug giver, CNAs, etc. are all billed separately.
those folks aren't typically billable, but I get what you're saying. I can see a time when nurses will start to become part of the "clinician's group" and have a separate billing sytem. That won't come from heatlh care reform though...that'll just come when the boomers hit the system behind the nation's obese. Jobs anyone?
 

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Joined
·
2,799 Posts
bend over. You're going to get hosed.
 

·
Sticky Valentine
Joined
·
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
T-Doc said:
nothing is free...someone, somehow, somewhere is going to have to pay for it.

Should I send you my paypal info?


joe
 

·
Low rep power
Joined
·
6,264 Posts
Slight thread drift-

For my last one, all I paid was the copay (I'm in MA)

My most recent insurance change is that removal of any polyps that the doc finds, previously considered just a regular part of the procedure, is now considered outpatient surgery, and subject to a separate $150. charge that I'll have to pay :mad2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,389 Posts
better..

saf-t said:
For my last one, all I paid was the copay (I'm in MA)

My most recent insurance change is that removal of any polyps that the doc finds, previously considered just a regular part of the procedure, is now considered outpatient surgery, and subject to a separate $150. charge that I'll have to pay :mad2:
to keep the polyps in there, you're right. Tell the Dr. you'll pay no more than 30$/polyp so he'd better find 5 of them...
 

·
Cowboy up
Joined
·
3,886 Posts
If the Dr. finds anything or has to do surgery then the insurance company might cancel your insurance based on a technicality. Someone recently told me her story about this. Now insurance companies are not allowed to cancel coverage based on technical mistakes in the application.

Happy tails.
 

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
Joined
·
27,035 Posts
You're probably going to die.

Note: I'm not a real doctor.
 

·
Steaming piles of opinion
Joined
·
10,503 Posts
bahueh said:
That won't come from heatlh care reform though
"From?" No.

Predictable "unintended consequence?" Absolutely.

It's not like the docs are going to take the end of the medicare "doctor fix" and the creation of all of these freebies lying down. Heck, a lot of them couldn't afford to even if they were of the mind to. Someway, somehow, they're gonna get paid.

Good folks all, but I've met very few doctors that are in it as a charity. And the number of insurance companies who are doing this out of the goodness of there hearts is precisely zero.
 

·
Noob as per thread 227982
Joined
·
162 Posts
Make sure when you go in for your colonoscopy you tell them you have persistent hiccups.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top