Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
It's Good For You!
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your favorite healthy bbq dish?
I have a few, but will throw the ideas out once this grill warms up.
Thanks!

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Buffalo burgers..
Steak
Brisket....

It's all good and healthy

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Chain said:
Buffalo burgers..
Steak
Brisket....

It's all good and healthy
You oughta try those frozen salmon burgers they sell at Costco. Really good with some tabasco spiced tartar sauce and assorted veggies.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
most of the above

is grilling which isn't really BBQing

I BBQ my chicken, have done skinless boneless smoked by Hickory

Cedar roasted Salmon

Turkey

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
You oughta try those frozen salmon burgers they sell at Costco. Really good with some tabasco spiced tartar sauce and assorted veggies.
If I'm going to do salmon, we get teh 'fresh' and do it out on the grill. Actually did some Sunday night that was good. Lightly seasoned with a little salt and olive oil. (wife forgot to buy the lemon :rolleyes: ) It works better using the grilling basket. it's metal with holes punched in it, not wire. A little olive oil on it and nothing sticks.

If I want a burger, I want it to taste like a burger should... not like fish. :mad:

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
I always like grilled chicken. I also like to grill vegetables like potatoes, green beans, etc. I make a mean steak too, I'm not sure how healthy that really is though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm an equal opportunity griller....

Shot from last weekend.

Some Halibut and veggies in the foil. Can barely see it, but there is a portobello mushroom up in the upper left corner.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
atpjunkie said:

Cedar roasted Salmon

Turkey
Yeah I know the difference--though most of the stuff I actually BBQ isn't probably as healthy as the stuff I grill.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
brisket, but it takes about 15hrs.

Pork shoulder (bone-in Boston Butt) is a bit quicker.

Ribs are faster yet, and anything that spends less than ~2hrs on the fire ain't really BBQ.

and yeah, it's ALL healthy! If we weren't supposed to eat those creatures, Mother Nature wouldn't have made 'em so dammned tasty!

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
JustTooBig said:
This guy ^^^^ knows his stuff. Even if we never NNCed, Indypalooza was a success.

Me, nothing that impressive. Brined chops or yardbird, fresh fish, veggies...

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
JustTooBig said:

Pork shoulder (bone-in Boston Butt) is a bit quicker.

Ribs are faster yet, and anything that spends less than ~2hrs on the fire ain't really BBQ.

and yeah, it's ALL healthy! If we weren't supposed to eat those creatures, Mother Nature wouldn't have made 'em so dammned tasty!
Those are the 3 things I make on the smoker most often. I've done chickens and turkey, but they are almost easier to do on the gasser on the rotisserie or using the beer can method for the chicken. I hate to fire up the smoker for something that can cook in an hour or 2 and waste the charcoal.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
pork of all kinds, it's the other white meat!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Those are the 3 things I make on the smoker most often. I've done chickens and turkey, but they are almost easier to do on the gasser on the rotisserie or using the beer can method for the chicken. I hate to fire up the smoker for something that can cook in an hour or 2 and waste the charcoal.
i did a 15 hour shoulder and three racks of baby backs on my WSM over labor day weekend. it. was. awesome. i'd like to hear your technique if it's not too much of a thread jack. also, i just close all the vents and the unused coals are recycled into the next smoke.

on the kettle, lately i've been really enjoying cedar plank salmon. my favorite so far has been with a simple sauce made out of olive oil, garlic, flat leaf parsley, salt, pepper, splash of agave. i just drizzle the top of the salmon with it. the garlic chunks sort of candy on top while cooking.

curious to know if people go direct, indirect or a sear/indirect technique when grilling. i've completely adopted the sear/indirect for poultry.

gas or charcoal?

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
run23 said:
i did a 15 hour shoulder and three racks of baby backs on my WSM over labor day weekend. it. was. awesome. i'd like to hear your technique if it's not too much of a thread jack. also, i just close all the vents and the unused coals are recycled into the next smoke.

on the kettle, lately i've been really enjoying cedar plank salmon. my favorite so far has been with a simple sauce made out of olive oil, garlic, flat leaf parsley, salt, pepper, splash of agave. i just drizzle the top of the salmon with it. the garlic chunks sort of candy on top while cooking.

curious to know if people go direct, indirect or a sear/indirect technique when grilling. i've completely adopted the sear/indirect for poultry.

gas or charcoal?
For the WSM I learned the most from this site.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/

The guy has all kinds of articles and mods for the WSM. I tend to use the Minion Method for longer cooks. Basically you put unlit charcoal on the bottom and throw a half chimney or so of charcoal on the top and it lights itself over time. You get about 10-12 hours of burn without messing with it which is nice for pork shoulder or brisket because you can leave it to cook overnight.

On the gas grill I use indirect if it's a larger item that takes longer to cook such as a rotisserie chicken or turkey--using a bit of direct heat is nice for crisping up the skin though. Salmon and steaks get high direct heat (500-600F) since they are done in 10-12 minutes. Chicken breasts get direct medium heat (375-400F). Really just depends on what you're cooking.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
YOU DOG!! that pic actually made me start to salivate. damm you....

a small fire of mesquite, oak and hickory...

and 30+lb of meat...

makes for a very good day.

·
It's Good For You!
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
atpjunkie said:

Cedar roasted Salmon

Turkey
Yer right, maybe I should have asked the original Q as "grillin'" instead of bbq'ing.

·
It's Good For You!
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Run23...no worries, not a thread jack. I love the ideas out there.
Some of my favs...homemade beer brats, pork tenderloin, halibut, veggies and steamedcorn left in the husk.
Keep ideas flowing!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.