Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many threads regarding heart rate monitors being very benificial and some saying percieved effort is a better standard to go by. I wanted to see which way you believe is better. Or is it something people buy saying it will make them a better cyclist and after using it a few times never look at except once and a while.

Also what do people think of the polar s720i and the suunto x6hr? I was trying to find screenshots of the downloaded data but cant find any on the web. If you have any please post, as I would like to see which one offers a better way to log rides and also to use for other activities.

Thanks for all that chime in.

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
I was trying to find screenshots of the downloaded data but cant find any on the web. If you have any please post, as I would like to see which one offers a better way to log rides and also to use for other activities.

Bikenben has some nice screen shots of his 710. They really look impressive! You might want to search the archives or perhaps he'll chime in.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
I would advise getting a cheap HR monitor to start off with. ($50-$60)
If you find that you're really into HR training, you can pop for the Polar later (next year)

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
pherret said:
I have read many threads regarding heart rate monitors being very benificial and some saying percieved effort is a better standard to go by. I wanted to see which way you believe is better. Or is it something people buy saying it will make them a better cyclist and after using it a few times never look at except once and a while.

Also what do people think of the polar s720i and the suunto x6hr? I was trying to find screenshots of the downloaded data but cant find any on the web. If you have any please post, as I would like to see which one offers a better way to log rides and also to use for other activities.

I don't think you need a 720i unless you don't already have a bike computer and have $ burning a hole in your pocket. I just bought one and have owned many Polar HRMs over the years. You can't go wrong with a Polar. They all work great--from the $50 model to the S720i. If you opt for the 720 be prepared to spend some time getting aquainted with all the numerous features and controls though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
pherret said:

I have the 720 and use it as my cyclometer as well. It does take a little learning to use it. What I like about it is it easiyl downloads (IR) to both my computer and IPAQ. I use My Sports Training to keep track of my excersises, and since the HR, speed, cadence and altitude are all stored in the unit, everything gets downloaded. Most software supports the Polar files.You can also use the included Polar software or several others. I have attached a view form MST (windows). I also have MST on my IPAQ, and the 720 downloads directly to it, which then syncs and updates my windows version.
If you do get a HRM, I highly recommend the book "The Heart Rate Monitor Book for Cyclists" by Sally Edwards and Sally Reed. It really improves your training.

·
Bike Addict
268 Posts
2 thumbs for the Polar 720 from me

I bought the 710 model 2.5 years ago and really felt like I was over doing the HR thing. Now I use it on all 4 of my bikes! also got the Power option for the road bike. I really like that you can download all your rides and it totals all your rides for the week: Hours, Miles, calories, so I don;t have to do a training log, it does it for me. I agree that it takes a lot to learn the functions, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy. I've had a problem with mine and have sent it back to Polar to get repaired and the problem has not gone away...they just told me they will be sending me a replacement. You gotta love that!

·
Banned
61 Posts
I've got two Sports Instruments HRs that I got on Ebay from eDiscountbike (just search heart monitors and it will come up). I spent $40 a piece and they do everything the Polar does -- including transmitting on the same frequency as Polar, so it works with health club equipement that is Polar compat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts