Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how much the outdoor temperature effects your HR? The other week i was doing some long intervals in about 60 degree weather (sunny), and it seemed my effort was higher than normal but my HR was a bit lower (4-6 beats) then the prior workout when the temp was in the mid 70s. Thoughts?

· Registered
11,561 Posts
LyncStar said:
Does anyone know how much the outdoor temperature effects your HR?
I don't know how much it affects it, but in general at similar work loads in the heat your HR will be higher probably because some of the blood that would normally be going to supply oxygen to the working muscles is instead being shunted to the skin surface to keep you from over heating.

· Genitive Declensioner
12,158 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
I don't know how much it affects it, but in general at similar work loads in the heat your HR will be higher probably because some of the blood that would normally be going to supply oxygen to the working muscles is instead being shunted to the skin surface to keep you from over heating.
that is correct sir....high temps = higher HR @ same effort all else being equal

A nearby hill I climb regularly, I'll jump from 182-185 to up over 190 when its hot.....in the same time

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
yeah, hotter = higher.

This is especially true for indoor training.

It screws a lot of peeople up who do a lot of winter training on a turbo, but are using "heart rate zones." They end up not actually working very hard. Unless you have 53 fans, your HR can be around 10 beats higher just from the temperature, not wattage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.