Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
BT, wishing you ride safe
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out today for a ride and decided to do heart rate intervals. I have them programed into my 305. I start out from the house, warm up until I get the north end of town, and then begin. Once my HR hits 90% the first interval begins. I keep the HR between 90% and 95% for six minutes, then stop and rest for 2 minutes.

I then start going and once my HR hits 90% the six min timer starts again. Repeat 5 more times. After the 4th I just didn't have the desire to finish.

I used to do these once a week last winter, but then I started doing wind sprints with some guys at 5AM. I kinda got out of the habit.

We don't have much in the line of hills here, so intervals are the next best training for the upcoming Horrible Hundred in 10 weeks. I got a lot of work to do!

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/102983

FYI - go easy. I'm no spring chicken.

·
Anti-Hero
10,343 Posts
Alex is right... you are putting out a 90% effort long before (relatively speaking) your heart rate reaches your goal (That's one of the benefits of power training- you see your effort instantly). If you're good at using perceived effort to get your heart rate to your 90% goal, just start your timer at the same time that you start the effort rather than when your heart rate gets to 90%.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
In south florida, you don't have hills but you do have wind. The hills at the HH aren't much and while they are not demanding in terms of inclines, it is a course that can wear on you. Consequently, it is not really a "climbers" course but what's more commonly referred to as a power course. There are far more qualified people than me who can give specific coaching advice but knowing how I train for races on courses such as this one, and how I've become successful on them, my advice would be to forget about climbing and simulated climbing per se and focus on developing the type of power you need (both in terms of wattage and increasing intensity) for the time periods required. And if you want to simulate more resistance/less resistance while you work on that, go up and down A1A with headwinds and tailwinds alternatively for your work/rest intervals.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts