Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
edhchoe said:
How accurate are they?
Any recommendations?
Heart rate monitors tend to be extremely accurate at measuring heart rate - things they 'calculate' from HR tend to be only marketer's dreams. Unless you KNOW some other feature that you want, get the cheapest. - TF

·
Registered
657 Posts
When I looked into them a year + ago, the HRM watches that did not have the chest strap did not show a continuous heart rate. They would only show an instantaneous heartrate when you pushed a button. That was not for me. I want the heart rate displayed continuously.

I bought a Polar F4 and it worked fine but have since bought a Garmin 305 with heart rate.

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,301 Posts
polar f5 - amazon clearance

i have a polar. i think 'f5' -- i know the 'list' price was 100 but i got it on sale for 50. now at amazon for 63.

watch and strap look just like mine so i think that is it.

you press one button to get it to hr mode from watch mode. it very quickly determines hr.
you can tell it is very accurate - you can pick up speed a bit and see corresponding change in hr.
if you want, you can set it to beep when you are in desired zone, or to beep when not in desired zone, or no beeping at all.

it does other stuff that i have never used, such as giving cumulative info. i mainly got it to show my wife that she was wasting her time fitness walking unless she gets in the lower end of the cardio range and stays there for at least 15 mintues, and helped her develop the sense of what that feels like to be in that range, so she can guage it herself anywhere, any aerobic activity.

for the price, i would give this basic one a try - and if you stick with it and find it useful, then maybe consider more expensive, with the downloading of data ,etc. cuz this is the kind of thing that you end up not really using and sticking in a drawer somewhere.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I agree with buying the cheapest. Over a long span of years I've had 2 Polars, a Nashbar, and I now have a Sigma - don't know what model. All it gives me is the time & current HR. Frankly, I don't want or need to know anything else. I think I paid around $30-40 bucks for it. I've had it for over a year. Tastes great / less filling. One think I absolutely insist on when contemplating a purchase is the ability to buy & change batteries myself. There are some monitors that require you to send the unit back to the mfg if you need new batteries. NO THANK YOU.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.