Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,anyone recommend a good heart rate monitor watch for cycling?Must have large screen so I can see heart rate when riding.Some say not all heart rate monitors are programmed for cycling!!!!!
All replies appreciated 馃毚馃毚馃毚馃毚

Registered
Go to www.dcrainmaker.com and read the reviews / product comparison charts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
honestly, I've used a watch for cycling (garmin FR610 and FR620) and while they do the job for recording stuff just fine, actually trying to read them while cycling... they are pretty poor at it. My Garmin cycling computer is eleventy billion times better. Even when mounted on the bars the watches were still not much for actually seeing stuff.
Id say if you don't need it as a watch (running/other stuff), then dedicated cycling computer is better.
otherwise as noted above, trowl through DCRainmakers page and see what suits.

Registered
I recently got a Scosche RHYTHM+ wrist band heart monitor I use with my Garmin Edge 500. I am really happy with it and like it better than the Mio Link that broke after less than 2 years. I agree a HR readout on the wrist is going to be really hard to see while riding.

Registered
I have a very good Multi-Sport GPS watch with HR (a Suunto Ambit 3 HR) and the only time I use it on the bike is when I am doing a Triathlon. I also use a bike computer for speed and cadence during Tri's. The Ambit has a large screen that can be customized to show which Data fields you want to see as well as a proper cycle mode but I still prefer to use a cycling computer for the data including HR when I am on the bike, it's just easier to read. Although I haven't tried mounting my watch on the bars, so I don't know if that makes it easier to read.

But if you are looking for a watch that will do just about anything I would recommend the Suunto Ambit 3 series, mine has been flawless going into it's third year. And since they have been out for awhile you can pick them up for a decent price.

SS-

Registered
I guess with our roads in the condition that they are in if I was gawking at my watch with one hand off the bars I would hit a pot hole and go down. I think its a poor idea to ride that way.

Garmin on the handlebars seems to be the most popular for HR and other function monitoring.

Banned Sock Puppet

Registered
From what I have read, the wrist is not a great place to get a reliable and accurate heart rate while exercising (despite the plethora of wrist-based monitors in the market).
It's also going to be darned hard to see your HR on a watch face while riding. IMO, the better solution is to get a chest strap HR monitor and broadcast it to either a bike computer like a Garmin or to your phone via a compatible app. You'll be better able to see your HR at a glance. With the Garmin at least, you can set min/max alerts for you HR and be notified when you are above / below them.

Plus: a HR strap is way cheaper than most HR-enabled watch devices.

Rub: A Garmin computer consumes the ANT+ protocol signals; a smart phone consumes Bluetooth Low Energy (aka BLE, BTLE, BT 4.0) signals. Which to choose? There are a few HR straps that broadcast both, such as the Wahoo TICKR line. I recently purchased the Wahoo TICKR X model and like it so far. This particular one will also record workouts without a phone and allow you to sync it later, so you can go off and do some exercise without a phone. To be fair, my 48" chest found my Garmin HR strap more comfortable than the Wahoo strap so I'm using the Wahoo sHR sensor attached to the Garmin strap/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts