Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please recommend a good accurate heart rate monitor, either stand alone or part of a cyclocomputer.

Thanks!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
There are a lot of good ones. What's your budget? And what else do you want other than a display of your current HR?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cadence, MPH,trip, etc...

I looked at the cateye but the one I looked at did not have cadence and heart rate.

·
Milk was a bad choice.
1,338 Posts
Cateye V3 is pricier (but also very high quality) but does all the functions you are wanting. It is wireless and keeps your bike looking clean, and it does not suffer interference like some cheaper wireless computers. I love mine after 1200 miles, and a new one can be had for around $130 on eBay (not the $200 retail price).

+1 for having HR and being able to do more focused training

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I have a stand alone Timex that works great. I also use it for spinning class and other activities.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a Timex. Works well. Wrist watch stype with chest strap, but with a foam pad around the handlebar, you can put the watch around there.

You can set to display bpm % your max HR.

Mine, new-in-box, closeout from a store, on ebay, <$50.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5G941-Heart-Monitor-Watch/dp/B000F5WB66/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

I look for something with large, easy to read numbers. All that I want in an HRM is current heart rate. I have a computer to measure cadence, speed, etc. I'm not concerned with average HR nor do I plan to download data to my computer. Just give me the plain vanilla please. HRM with too many features have smaller digits that are more difficult to read on the fly.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I forgot one other important thing. I always check to see if I can change the battery myself. Some HRMs require to send to a certified repair facility to change the battery. NO THANKS!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
I forgot one other important thing. I always check to see if I can change the battery myself. Some HRMs require to send to a certified repair facility to change the battery. NO THANKS!
Polar comes to mind here...

I really like my Garmin Edge 500.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Polar now user servicable

Mr. Versatile said:
In the past the Polar models required you to return it to them to change the battery. I picked up an FT4 this weekend (after my Polar F6 cracked) and both the watch and transmitter batteries can now be changed by the user. Not sure if that applies to other models

·
Registered
243 Posts
+1 for the Cateye V3. It has all the functions that I prefer - speed, distance, heart rate, & cadence - displayed at the same time on 3 lines. All 3 batteries are the same and can be easily changed by opening the cases with a quarter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts