Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(First off appologies if this is the wrong form for the question, please move as needed)

I'm looking to pick up a heart rate monitor, more than likely Polar as they are in good abundance where I am located as opposed to other models.

I am currently looking at the cycling based models s510 and s520. However I would appreciate some user input as I am a little bit wary if the Cycling model is a bit of over kill as I already have a bike computer with cadence, so could not see me using that feature.

If it is over kill can someone recommend a good alternative, with similar features, calorie tracking, HRM alarms etc.

The other alternative would be to replace the Cateye Astrale 8 with the S520, if that was to be done can anyone tell me how well the Polar speed sensors would work off a rear wheel as I do alot of work on a turbo trainer.

·
GeoCyclist
655 Posts
Polar Speed Sensor Mount

I have a Polar S725 and CS200, neither of these speed sensors will work when mounted on the rear wheel.

If you are going to keep your bike computer, I would recommend a watch type HR monitor. Having a watch type will allow you to use the HR monitor for other activities besides cycling. The only reason to splurge for the high end cycling HR monitor is for the computer download data tracking. If you are a numbers / data junky the S725 will keep your numbers / data Jones happy.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I just use the bare-bones Polar. The cheapest one they make. I believe that simpler is better. Mine is an older model that tells current HR. it also has an alarm you can set for max / min HR. The best thing about it is that it has really big numbers that make it easy to read.

·
Registered
492 Posts
GeoCyclist said:
I have a Polar S725 and CS200, neither of these speed sensors will work when mounted on the rear wheel.
I've heard that there are jumpers inside the speed transmitters that increase the signal strength so you can use them on your rear wheel. I haven't tried this myself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hairscrambled said:
I've heard that there are jumpers inside the speed transmitters that increase the signal strength so you can use them on your rear wheel. I haven't tried this myself.
True, but it not always enough to make it work on the rear wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts