Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I was riding on a trainer a few days ago with the HRM for about a half hour (to kill some time you know). It was a decent pace "ride" with a couple of intervals thrown in for good measure. I look at the HRM at the end of all of it and it said my HR was averaging around 180 bpm. Maybe it's just me, but that seems a bit high for a 30 min average where I didn't feel too tired afterwards. Is it maybe that I just have a high heart rate, or might something else be wrong?

For fitness reference I'm about 6', ~160 pounds, eat healthy, and can do a 50 miler (at a decent pace) for fun if the mood strikes me.

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Heat effects

Are you saying you don't use the HRM on the bike, and have only used it once on the trainer? Otherwise, you would know what your HR is at the same relative effort. That said, if your HR was higher than normal when riding the trainer, it pobably was mostly heat effects - your heart has to beat faster to get rid of the excess heat from riding indoors without the cooling breeze.

· Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually just got the HRM recently and that was the first time I got to use it on a ride with actual heavy effort. The heat effects make a lot of sense, thank you, you do always have the answer Kerry.

· Registered
431 Posts
I'm just guessing, but if you were inside and didn't have the cooling effect of the air, your heart was working somewhat like your car's (assuming you have a car) water pump and trying to get some blood to your head (your body's radiator) so it could expel some heat. The same effort with a fan on your or out in the air would likely result in a lower HR.

· Registered
495 Posts
180 is a pretty high average HR but like the others said heat could be an issue. In the end, it really doesn't matter what your HR is, only how much power you put out at any given HR. I've got a fairly high HR, I've seen 216 max in a race as I was dropped and 213 in many crits. I'm thinking of petitioning to see if we can base the placings on highest HR instead of first one to finish!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.