Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im rather new with heart rate training, and I am wondering at what zones (% of Maximum heart rate) should I look for during a easy ride, medium, etc... I''d like to learn more of how to use it to assist my training, please help!

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
some numbers

Lactate/Anerobic Threshold/max sustainable HR = HR at 30 minute time trial pace.

Zone 5 (Sprinting = max effort)
Zone 4 (LT intervals) 95-105% of LT
Zone 3 (hard aerobic cond.) 85-90% of LT
Zone 2 (aerobic conditioning) 75-85% of LT
Zone 1 (recovery) 65-75% of LT

HR numbers basedon maximum HR
Time Trial 85-90%
Hard Riding 75-85%
Endurance Riding 65-75%
Recovery 60-65%

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Testing, testing 1, 2

Angelracer said:
Im rather new with heart rate training, and I am wondering at what zones (% of Maximum heart rate) should I look for during a easy ride, medium, etc... I''d like to learn more of how to use it to assist my training, please help!

Thanks,

Dan
The % numbers Kerry has set forth are great. Now how do you plug #'s you have or think you have into the % #'s? Testing. You need to find a means to test and get some accurate reliable baseline max HR #'s. This is gonna hurt. Need to do some research as to how to test (Friel) for these #'s. Using the 220bpm -age is not accurate. There are other publications out that can help you understand the pyramid /periodic training, there is not a short answer to your question.

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Getting the number

Lone Gunman said:
Now how do you plug #'s you have or think you have into the % #'s?
Standard test is to ride a 30 minute time trial (sustained flat out effort) and use the HR you see for the last 20 minutes as your LT/AT/max. sustainable HR. Depending on which journal citation you choose, people report different values for LT and AT, but there's not enough difference to worry about, especially since the training guides are ranges anyway.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Max heart rate ##

I do not a heart rate monitor, but when I was doing Spinervals on a trainer and after a hard
work out I calculated my hear rate it was 264.00 beats per minute. I am wondering if it is too high. I felt fine and felt that I was getting the right training. I am afraid to get a heart rate monitor because it will beep every time when I start climing uphils, because the max heart rate is based on 225-age(40 years old). If I ride at 180 bpm I feel I do not get the right work out to improve my training. At the same time I do not want to have a heart attack on the bike climing one of the local hills. I guess I have been riding for 3-4 years without a heart rate monitor and every time when I work realy hard I suspect my heart rate jumps to 250-260 beats per minute. Any suggestions haw to train right and not to overtrain my heart...? Any guidelines regarding SAFE max heart rate...? Is is ok if heart rate goes ove 250 bpm during training or it is dangerous ? Thank you.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Ab24029 said:
I do not a heart rate monitor, but when I was doing Spinervals on a trainer and after a hard
work out I calculated my hear rate it was 264.00 beats per minute. I am wondering if it is too high. I felt fine and felt that I was getting the right training. I am afraid to get a heart rate monitor because it will beep every time when I start climing uphils, because the max heart rate is based on 225-age(40 years old). If I ride at 180 bpm I feel I do not get the right work out to improve my training. At the same time I do not want to have a heart attack on the bike climing one of the local hills. I guess I have been riding for 3-4 years without a heart rate monitor and every time when I work realy hard I suspect my heart rate jumps to 250-260 beats per minute. Any suggestions haw to train right and not to overtrain my heart...? Any guidelines regarding SAFE max heart rate...? Is is ok if heart rate goes ove 250 bpm during training or it is dangerous ? Thank you.
1 - That's really, really high. I think I would see a doctor and get a stess test (or whatever is advised) to confirm both the HR and the health.
2 - You can always turn the beeper off or just don't use the zones feature. Or you could get a cheap one that has nothing but the HR.

TF

·
Registered
48 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
1 - That's really, really high. I think I would see a doctor and get a stess test (or whatever is advised) to confirm both the HR and the health.
2 - You can always turn the beeper off or just don't use the zones feature. Or you could get a cheap one that has nothing but the HR.

TF
2b A lot of the polar HRM's let you put in your max and zones.

265! How the hell can you count that fast, that is almost 5 beats a second?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I second that emotion

Your HR seems extremely high. Get it checked out before you begin a rigorous exercise program. Assuming everything checks out:
- Your max HR is your max HR and is a function of a lot of factors. It doesn't mean a lot, but will drop as you get older. You will seldom train at your Max HR.
- You should be more concerned about your LT and TT already gave you some great guidelines for calculating zones based on your LT.
- There are a few ways to calculate your LT. The Time Trial method mentioned above is a great way. I happen to like the Conconi test. I think it reduces the impact of the "pain threshold" variable. There are a few ways to run a Conconi test (some more precise than others), but you can find a basic description at <http://www.cruciblefitness.com/etips/lactate-threshold03.htm>. You'll need access to a way to calculate wattage, but more and more folks have a Powertap or SRM cranks for that purpose.

Cheers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I third the feeling

That heart rate is too high. Go to the doc and get an EKG.

I wonder if you are not counting right - most people with heart rates that high will have an uncomfortable fluttering feeling in their chest and might be a little lightheaded and dizzy. Try counting your carotid pulse for a full minute rather than a counting for a short period and multiplying.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thank you. I recalculated my heart rate in 10 seconds and then multiplied it and it is ok. I just made a mistake calculating before. It was only 132 beats per minute. I guess I should get a heart rate minitor. Any suggestions if I should get one with the bike computer or separate. I am leaning towards separate because of the # of bikes I ride(3). I also need to get bike computers for 2 bikes or 1 computer wih 2 mounts. Thank you again. I was panicing I was about to go and see a doctor.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
According to Chris Carmichael, heart rate training isn't as accurate of a measure as power output training since your heart rate can be effected by caffeine, hydration, motivation, and temperature, but power is a direct measure of the work you are doing.

brewster

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,576 Posts
Ab24029 said:
Thank you. I recalculated my heart rate in 10 seconds and then multiplied it and it is ok. I just made a mistake calculating before. It was only 132 beats per minute. I guess I should get a heart rate minitor. Any suggestions if I should get one with the bike computer or separate. I am leaning towards separate because of the # of bikes I ride(3). I also need to get bike computers for 2 bikes or 1 computer wih 2 mounts. Thank you again. I was panicing I was about to go and see a doctor.
A heart rate monitor WITH the bike? You mean one that has a cadence sensor in it, too? Those are usually pretty expensive.

Almost all cyclocomputers have a setting for at least 2 bikes, though. Get a HR monitor and then a cyclocomputer, and just buy an extra mount/transmitter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts