Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How fast can your heart rate go from about 75 to close to 200.

Last night about 10:30 pm I was driving the wife home from a concert we'd attended. I was following another car in a 35 mph zone. We were approaching an intersection, the light was green for us, when all of a sudden he stands on the brakes. For an instant I thought he might be brake checking me, although i certainly wasn't very close to him. I got stopped in plenty of time without rear ending him.

Then I saw it.

A kid that I would guess to be about 11-13 years, dressed in all black had ridden a bmx bike across the intersection, against the light, directly into the path of the first car. No lights, no reflectors, all black clothing. To be honest, I don't know how the first guy missed him. I'm glad I wasn't first. I wonder if I would have seen him. The intersection is not well lit.

The guy blew his horn at the kid. The kid turned around, gives an exaggerated shrug as if to say, "What?" I was tempted to get out of the car and beat the tar out of him.

Oh yeah. Heart rate from about 75 to close to 200? I think mine did it in about 3 seconds.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I saw almost the same thing the other night. Kid on a bike in dark clothing with no lights and no reflectors. I didn't come close to hitting him as he was riding on the sidewalk/bike path of a major road, but I remember thinking to myself this kid is just an accident waiting to happen. Scary stuff...

Jay B.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.