Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a pretty tall guy, 6'4" 170 lbs. This past weekend I competed in what our state considers the toughest road race of the season; 62 miles, collegiate regional champs wccc- wicked climbing. Toughest climb is 3 miles at 12 degrees, and it was 80 degrees temp. Out and back course, on the descent of that 3 mile mountain road, between 3 teammates we confirmed 60 mph, easily gaining wheel wobble- some sketchy shiza.

Anyways, we had a follow vehicle for our team, went through 7 bottles of cytomax, 2 cliff bars, 3 GU's, and still got sick at the end of the race. I sucked down close to 1 1/2- 2 gallons of water by the end of the day, and endulged in a large amount of food.

Past couple nights though, I haven't been able to get much sleep (5-6 hours) still have off and on headaches, throat discomfort. Anyone experience this, its frustrating to feel like **** . Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
tcpike said:
I am a pretty tall guy, 6'4" 170 lbs. This past weekend I competed in what our state considers the toughest road race of the season; 62 miles, collegiate regional champs wccc- wicked climbing. Toughest climb is 3 miles at 12 degrees, and it was 80 degrees temp. Out and back course, on the descent of that 3 mile mountain road, between 3 teammates we confirmed 60 mph, easily gaining wheel wobble- some sketchy shiza.

Anyways, we had a follow vehicle for our team, went through 7 bottles of cytomax, 2 cliff bars, 3 GU's, and still got sick at the end of the race. I sucked down close to 1 1/2- 2 gallons of water by the end of the day, and endulged in a large amount of food.

Past couple nights though, I haven't been able to get much sleep (5-6 hours) still have off and on headaches, throat discomfort. Anyone experience this, its frustrating to feel like **** . Any information would be greatly appreciated.
I'm guessing the race was 3-3.5 hours right? And you personally drank 7 bottles in that time? Or is that for your whole team? This story doesn't make much sense.

Why do you think it was heat exhaustion? Sounds like a minor virus to me, which is not a surprise if you're racing really hard.

Silas

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
Sounds like Superior? That hill apparently gets longer and steeper for every day.
If you indeed drank that amount, you might have "desalted" yourself. (I know it got a proper term but can't remember it). Although, a minor virus as Silas mentioned is very likely given what you wrote.

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
you got dehydrated, and are still suffering from a bit of electrolyte imbalance. Take on fluids, soup, gatorade, etc, but go easy. you can't just shock your system back on track. Whenyou go that hard your body can't take up the benefits of the Cytomax, the water then dilutes what you have left.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts