Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's gonna be a fun commute home, with current temp 96 F, 76% humidity and 110 heat index. Yesterday it was just as hot, but some thunderstorms popped up as I was heading home, and the winds from a squall line cooled it off a lot. It started pouring 5 minutes after I got home. However, it's supposed to be even hotter the next 3 days with highs around 100 F and hotter.

The local TV station linked a National Weather Service advisory on the heat, that included the following statement
: • A heat index of 105°F or greater is very dangerous. People should greatly limit any
time outdoors, and spend as much time as possible in well-ventilated rooms and air
conditioning.
• Excessive heat effects are cumulative, and the threats grow with each successive day
of hot weather.

My goodness, with the summer we are having, I should have died about 4 weeks ago!

http://www.wral.com/asset/weather/2010/07/21/8006249/NWS_Heat_Facts.pdf
 

·
No Crybabies
Joined
·
11,684 Posts
take it easy

Wow, thunderstorms to saturate the ground, followed by 100 degrees. Sounds like a sauna. Slow down, drink plenty of ice water.

I have a Camelbak with a little spray nozzle on the end of the hose instead of the bite valve. Sounds like you could use something like that. Fill with ice water and spritz away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,713 Posts
Just had a wicked thunderstorm blow through here (Hartford, CT) with a tornado warning. Dropped the temp from 90 to 70 in 20 minutes. I think I have to wait for one more storm cell to blow through before I head home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
I would feel bad for you except I live in Scottsdale - the last week has been 108-115 with humidity. On monday we just set a new record for the 24 hour low temp of 94 degress. I now know what it will be like in hell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
JCavilia said:
Just had a wicked thunderstorm blow through here (Hartford, CT) with a tornado warning. Dropped the temp from 90 to 70 in 20 minutes. I think I have to wait for one more storm cell to blow through before I head home.
I left my office in Hartford just as the first cell was moving in... by the time I got half way home it was a steady rain and I was soaked. Five minutes after that I couldn't see the house behind us it was coming down so hard. Nice that it cooled down but I'm ready for fall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ride home wasn't as bad as I expected. Slowing down will get you through some tough conditions (that includes hard climbs as well), so I just putz it all the way home. The hardest part is getting caught at long traffic lights on large, sunny roads.
 

·
No Crybabies
Joined
·
11,684 Posts
hot on the road

tarwheel2 said:
The ride home wasn't as bad as I expected. Slowing down will get you through some tough conditions (that includes hard climbs as well), so I just putz it all the way home. The hardest part is getting caught at long traffic lights on large, sunny roads.
I was riding home one day when the reported temperature was 110, but sitting at a stoplight among several dozen cars my bike computer was showing 121. I started getting better at my timing and rolling up to intersections slowly to minimize the stopped time. Worst scenario is sprinting to make a light, but then last second realizing you can't make it and then stopping for 5 minutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I leave work, I can see the traffic light in front on our office building from the parking lot. If it is just turning red, I do a lap around the building so I won't have to sit at the traffic light for 5 minutes. I hate sitting at lights on hot days!
 

·
Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
11,979 Posts
Looks like the hot weather is pretty much nation wide. It's been hot here in northern Ohio too. Most days have been in the high 80s/low 90s. That doesn't sound so bad compared to temps reported elsewhere, but our dewpoints have been in the mid 70s. That's real humidity. Normally one would expect humidity like that in Fla. Ga., Miss., Ala.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
I feel your pain, it has been just beyond nasty down here in south florida. I feel like I stepped into a sauna when I walk out the door. I cannot put in words the feeling after a few hours of riding lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,713 Posts
PCM said:
I left my office in Hartford just as the first cell was moving in... by the time I got half way home it was a steady rain and I was soaked. Five minutes after that I couldn't see the house behind us it was coming down so hard. Nice that it cooled down but I'm ready for fall.
Jeez, man, that's dangerous!. I check the radar and wait those out. Be careful. There was actually a tornado warning. I'll ride in all sorts of rain, but I don't want a 50 mph gust blowing me in front of a bus.
 

·
Custom User Title
Joined
·
359 Posts
truble930 said:
I would feel bad for you except I live in Scottsdale - the last week has been 108-115 with humidity. On monday we just set a new record for the 24 hour low temp of 94 degress. I now know what it will be like in hell.
i live in Southern Nevada, 110+, little humidity, 10 mph wind...feels like a blow dryer in your face.
 

·
Resident Curmudgeon
Joined
·
11,979 Posts
I rode 56 mi. with my club today. There was a SW wind @ 22mph, the temp was 92F and the humidity was 64%. We took it slowly, drank a LOT, and stopped a couple of times. I always drink a lot anyway, even during the winter. On the ride today I drank 2 liters of Gatorade and a little water.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top