Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard of people heat molding their SLR saddles to fit them better. any advice on how i should go about doing this.

·
Registered
629 Posts
kenyonCycleist said:
I have heard of people heat molding their SLR saddles to fit them better. any advice on how i should go about doing this.
I use a technique that is quite easy, and can be done on the fly, but it involves a highly toxic and flamable gaseous substance that has acutally been banned in 37 states. It is also frequently accompanied by a concussive blast so loud and forceful that has been known to cause temporary ear damage and on a few accounts, organ failure. So I really can't recommend this method.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,412 Posts
Step#1 find a very large oven
Step#2 heat oven to 450 degrees
Step#3 put bike in over for 50 minutes
Step#4 sit on bike for 3 minutes
Step#5 go see doctor

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
save the jackass comments

i am only interested in serious advice. F^%&K off

MR_GRUMPY said:
Step#1 find a very large oven
Step#2 heat oven to 450 degrees
Step#3 put bike in over for 50 minutes
Step#4 sit on bike for 3 minutes
Step#5 go see doctor

·
Registered
681 Posts
If I were going to risk damaging my slr which i'm not, here's how I would do it.
First get beeswax an apply liberal amounts to the leather... I do this as a matter of course already... keeps the leather in good shape, but especially if you're applying heat you don't want to char or dry out the leather.
Next I'd apply heat to the bottom of the shell using a heat gun... used most often for paint removal, maybe able to rent one from somewhere. Basically it's like an industrial strength blow dryer.
You'd probably want to be carefull not to heat up the area where the rails meet the shell too much. You may want to use something like a metal funel or something to direct the hot air to a more specific location avoiding the rails.
Also you don't want the shell to be TOO hot. Just enough to slightly alter the shape... not enough to turn it into soup.
While it's still warm get on it and pedal... You could use an old seat post to make putting it back onto the bike a little easier.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
heres my situation

when i ride with the saddle straight and not twisted the nose rubs constantly on the inside of my left thigh. i correct this by turning the nose to the right, but this causes the rear left part of the saddle to hit the back of my left leg. i was hoping i could heat the saddle and bend the left section inward and away from where it is rubbing the back of my left leg. i get the problem in the first place b/c i have a leg length discrepency in the left leg, which i have shimmed. I have also been to a bike fitter but he was not able to correct this saddle problem. at this point i am considering all options b/c it is not enjoyable to ride like this.

Frith said:
If I were going to risk damaging my slr which i'm not, here's how I would do it.
First get beeswax an apply liberal amounts to the leather... I do this as a matter of course already... keeps the leather in good shape, but especially if you're applying heat you don't want to char or dry out the leather.
Next I'd apply heat to the bottom of the shell using a heat gun... used most often for paint removal, maybe able to rent one from somewhere. Basically it's like an industrial strength blow dryer.
You'd probably want to be carefull not to heat up the area where the rails meet the shell too much. You may want to use something like a metal funel or something to direct the hot air to a more specific location avoiding the rails.
Also you don't want the shell to be TOO hot. Just enough to slightly alter the shape... not enough to turn it into soup.
While it's still warm get on it and pedal... You could use an old seat post to make putting it back onto the bike a little easier.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
I think Kerry's right, but if he's not...

I'm pretty sure Kerry's right (I'm ALWAYS sure he's right), but if he's not, I second the heat gun theory. I've never done a saddle, but I've had modest success reshaping kayaks and other plastic objects with a cheap Black & Decker heat gun. Work slowly and CAREFULLY. Ocean Kayak (which may use an entirely different material, so don't trust this too far) says to heat the stuff gently until it looks like it's starting to sweat, then ease it into shape. If it starts to sag or run, turn the heat off instantly and hope you're not too late.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
kenyonCycleist said:
i am only interested in serious advice. F^%&K off
Lighten up... they were rather humorous... some of the best material of the year.

SLRs are rather fragile saddles- I already need a new one after only 7000 miles.

In the interest of being a complete smart-a$$, I refer you to this thread:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=2196

;)

Frankly, I doubt you could control the heat enough to do anything useful to the saddle. They are likely built using a mold to control their shape.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they are not composite

its just thick plastic. the only that has carbon is the new carbon model. you are ignorant if you think the old SLR's are made out of carbon. i have owned and crashed on several of them and seen the material and worked with it, trying to fix the crash damage to one of the saddles. its NOT carbon.

Kerry Irons said:
I'm pretty sure SLR saddles are CF composite. Given this, there is no way you can heat mold them.

·
Poseur
1,677 Posts
wow

I don't know squat about your saddle, I use another brand, but this thread is rather hostile, and I don't know who is to blame. I will admit though, you have no f***ing sense of humor. Unless you are obligated to this particular saddle, change it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
What about the glue?

If you heat up the saddle wont the glue come undone?
I would not mess with this one.

I would try out different saddle before I started trying to change their shape with a heat gun.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Why don't you get

a saddle that fits your fat ass a little better, ya f&%king @55hole. Or why don't you just leave the saddle off alltogether and shove the seatpost up your butt? Too bad you didn't break your damn neck in any of those crashes

kenyonCycleist said:
its just thick plastic. the only that has carbon is the new carbon model. you are ignorant if you think the old SLR's are made out of carbon. i have owned and crashed on several of them and seen the material and worked with it, trying to fix the crash damage to one of the saddles. its NOT carbon.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
why ???

because i dont let people say bs that jsut isnt true. kerry irons post about the saddle being carbon is not correct and pretty ignorant for someone who professes to be a know it all. my fat ass..thats a good one..how much do u think i weigh? and how does any of this thread pertain to you whatsoever? i asked a serious question and i get jokes as responses. that i dont appreciate. and then you post this psuedo death threat saying you wish i would have died in a bike crash. WHO ARE YOU??

Speed_Metal said:
a saddle that fits your fat ass a little better, ya f&%king @55hole. Or why don't you just leave the saddle off alltogether and shove the seatpost up your butt? Too bad you didn't break your damn neck in any of those crashes

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
kenyonCycleist said:
Perhaps take the saddle and attach it with the nose straight up in the air. Apply beeswax to the tip (none needed if that's your bag) and mount up. Good ol' friction will heat up the saddle and best of all your in total control of the amount of friction depending on your "cadence". Since you're sure the shell is plastic you won't have to worry about an embarASSing trip to the E.R. to explain how the carbon splinters got there......

·
Registered
426 Posts
Actually,

Kerry is correct. It says carbon fiber shell on the bottom of the seat. I just went out and looked at mine and saw it with my own two eyes.

Maybe they lie, I dont know.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok well

i have cut bits off with a razor and filed it after a crash and it sure doesnt look like carbon nor act like it. do you believe everything companies tell you. do you believe the old mavic cosmic carbones are actually carbone jsut cause the manufacturer says so? my carnac quartz's say on the sole that their made out of carbon fiber composite, but tell me one person that believes that.

Florentine Pogen said:
Kerry is correct. It says carbon fiber shell on the bottom of the seat. I just went out and looked at mine and saw it with my own two eyes.

Maybe they lie, I dont know.

·
Registered
88 Posts
kenyonCycleist said:
i have cut bits off with a razor and filed it after a crash and it sure doesnt look like carbon nor act like it. do you believe everything companies tell you. do you believe the old mavic cosmic carbones are actually carbone jsut cause the manufacturer says so? my carnac quartz's say on the sole that their made out of carbon fiber composite, but tell me one person that believes that.
i've done this with my SLR. trust me on this. preheat oven to 550 and put saddle in for 15 minutes. dont open in process or else you'll blow the time required... at exactly 15 minutes, pull out saddle, mount on seat post and stay seated for 5 or so minutes. i've found that 15 minutes is the exact amount of time you need at 550 to soften the plastic without unduly warping the seat.

enjoy your saddle after the custom fitting.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.