Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found Bruyneel's commentary so spot on that I think I wanna have his baby!

He was so relavent and concise with his assessment of the players, their positions on the road and their possible strategies that it was like listening to a talkin crystal ball!

Seriously, English language broadcasters would be lucky to snag him for commentary!

·
likes to eat donuts
893 Posts
Hmmmm...?

Akirasho said:

He was so relavent and concise with his assessment of the players, their positions on the road and their possible strategies that it was like listening to a talkin crystal ball!

Seriously, English language broadcasters would be lucky to snag him for commentary!
It sounds like you practically had an orgasm while watching him. :crazy:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
his opinions of the race were pretty good. But that's taking it a little bit far. I think Paul and Phil do a good job, but they get caught up too much to trying to wax poetic about every peddle stroke, rather than take a look at the big picture. Is it that they're geting stale?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,328 Posts
jsedlak said:
All you need to say is:

"OH AND IT LOOKS LIKE MENCHOV IS LEAPING OFF THE FRONT...

Phil, I actually think we are looking at the back of the pelaton..."

(Phil making mistake #123213123231 for the day)

Actually, Eurosport made the same mistake there.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I love when he does that

jsedlak said:
All you need to say is:

"OH AND IT LOOKS LIKE MENCHOV IS LEAPING OFF THE FRONT...

Phil, I actually think we are looking at the back of the pelaton..."

(Phil making mistake #123213123231 for the day)
I love when Phil get the name of the rider or the team wrong.... But LIsten to the velonews voice over for the heighlights.... It sucks...

I'll take Phil when he is senile and is asking for a diper change, from Paul...

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love when Phil get the name of the rider or the team wrong
True that Phil has had his days... but who can forget his being able to scream out Djamolidine Abdoujaparov's entire name correctly amidst all them other sprinters in the nineties? Still, Johan has shown us his goods (I've gotta get these sexual enuendos outta my head)!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Akirasho said:

I agree he had a very strategic view of the race + racers... and I liked getting that angle. Here's where cycling is out of the norm. In most sports (basebasll, football, et al) you have the "analyst guy" that is doing the play by play and the "color commentator" as the sidekick. Cycling is the other way around... the color commentator is the main announcer but it is awesome when the "analyst" steps in to point out specific strategy.

·
Descender
2,213 Posts
Phil and Paul are the best for or sport period - their knowledge regarding strategy, positoning, riders strength's, team motivation and tactics etc. is outstanding (anyone remember Al Trautwig?)

How about Bobke this year - does he seem like he has had professional announcer coaching during the off season - seams much more polished and articulate this year - yes - no?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Oh but for a little Paul and Phil

Dudes, you all have it good. I'm in Southern China this week where the local cable sports channel has the french TV5 coverage and a chinese lady commentator with a voice like fingernails on a blackboard banging on in Cantonese. On the other channel they translate into cantonese OVER the top of whatever the english language commentary is (they do this for all sports) so it's COMPLETELY unintelligible.

I turn the sound down and track the bulletins and stage progress on letour.com. Thank the powers that be for the interweb.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'll take Phil and Paul.... Even with all the little mistakes, I enjoy hearing their voices. It will be a sad day when they retire.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Paul is still a spring chicken isnt he. I guess I hope when Phil is gone we can have a smooth transition to Paul and someone (like BOB) for another decade or so. Just not the guy that does the live commentary for US races and sometimes VS. Cant remember his name but I heard him at The TOG and the Nat Championships in Greenville.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Material...

Hell, if phil and paul had only 15 minutes to make comments about the entire tour (like Bruyneel), no telling how insightful they would be. But they have well over 100 hours to fill.

If you made me talk for 2.5 hours everyday about guys going through a valley, you would throw up.

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
Akirasho said:

His book is really good too. Just finished it.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm with the Phil and Paul supporters...not always accurate, but always excited and colourful...good for a laugh, good to get some interesting Tour tidbits, etc etc....

When I ride I can hear their voices in my head as if they were doing the commentay! :D

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Bruyneel's commentary is PROOF Lance doped!

So are those Trek commercials, the chick driving the Saab, and the broad in the grey dress shakin' her thing for a mojito. ALL of those.....PROOF Lance juiced...er....doped.....er....took a Tylenol.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I've not watched the Johan commentary... But how could the guy be wrong, he's considered by some to be the best DS in the biz, right? He had a strategy all planned out, and his team didn't get the invite... It's not like he wasn't considering the players in the game, and the only players that aren't there now are Contador, Levi, & now Ricco....

And I don't care if Phil screws up and tells us that BIG MIG still has a shot at winning this year's tour, he's infinitely better than ANY of his counterparts (not counting Paul). And just how much background could you get about the tour, and racing in Europe outta Bobke???
Bob's got good info, if you're mostly interested in hearing about how 7-11 made it happen.
Which as an american who started road biking in 82... I am, but I still prefer Phil.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.