Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently at 250# and on my way down, I am in need of a wheel set. My Shimano 561 (Ultegra) bearing cup is pitted after 4,300+ miles. Not a good thing. Any suggestions in regards to what I should consider in making my selection? I'm looking at the ROLs Race SL & Volant. The reviews re strength with these wheels is pretty consistent. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
voodooguy said:
Currently at 250# and on my way down, I am in need of a wheel set. My Mavic 561 bearing cup is pitted after 4,300+ miles. Not a good thing. Any suggestions in regards to what I should consider in making my selection? I'm looking at the ROLs Race SL & Volant. The reviews re strength with these wheels is pretty consistent. Any thoughts?
ROLS is a good brand. Get their recommendation regarding which model you need.

The Williams 30X is specifically designed for heavier riders and would be a good choice.

DT Swiss 1.2, Velocity Deep V, or Mavic CXP33 rims are good choices. I am right at 200 lbs and have 24front/28rear Deep V's and White Industries hubs. 32 minimum or 36 spoke count would be highly recommended if you want them bomb-proof.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Mavic Open Pro also is a good choice. Many large folks ride them and swear by them. It's more how they are built than what rim anyways. Properly tensioned and trued 32 or 36 spoke X3 laced and you'll be fine.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
Phil Wood hubs, Open Pro or DT 1.1. 36 hole minimum front and rear. Brass nips. A 14/15 double butted spoke would probably work to save some weight. Properly built, you will not be able to destroy this wheel. A little heavier than most, yes. But it'll last forever.

Avoid anything but a handbuilt wheel, built by an experienced builder. No 'prebuilt' wheels, period.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
You could use ultegra hubs to save money. If you pitted a bearing race it's not due to your weight, but an improperly adjusted hub. Ultegra hubs are rock and are one of the best hubs on the market.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Rubber Lizard said:
You could use ultegra hubs to save money. If you pitted a bearing race it's not due to your weight, but an improperly adjusted hub. Ultegra hubs are rock and are one of the best hubs on the market.
Thank you everybody for your suggestions and help. It makes sense. It's interesting about the weight not being the cause of pitting the cups. I guess my weight played a roll in the hub going out of adjustment. Certainly dropping the weight to under 200# is the best solution! But, I do need to consider something in the meantime.

The interesting thing is I have not had any issues with my spokes. At 16/20 I'm surprised quite frankly.

·
Registered
88 Posts
How about aerospoke? Any big guys riding them? I'm about 225lbs and am looking for a good wheelset... Ive always been a fan of the 4 spoke but never been able to afford. Now i can and hope i can ride them with my weight. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
voodooguy said:
Currently at 250# and on my way down, I am in need of a wheel set. My Shimano 561 (Ultegra) bearing cup is pitted after 4,300+ miles. Not a good thing. Any suggestions in regards to what I should consider in making my selection? I'm looking at the ROLs Race SL & Volant. The reviews re strength with these wheels is pretty consistent. Any thoughts?
ROL seems to be a good company, but the wheels you are looking at are simply not that robust for a 250 lber. Since you have had decent luck with the Ultegras you must be easy on wheels inspite of your weight. Still I think you'd be better off with customs... maybe using the Kinlin rims (same ones ROL uses) and a few more spokes, and heavier ones on the DS. As you get in better shape and lose weight you might actually be harder on your wheels because you'll be stronger.

·
Registered
89 Posts
velocity deep vee 36h 3 cross. i rode these when I was 305lbs several years ago (did the lemond thing after quiting the sport in college and majoring in beer). When I started back I had a pair of deep vee 36h built and put 3000 miles on them. still have them and they are going strong. The mavic open pro and cxp or cpx 33 are strong also. Just stick with 36 or 32 hole (recommend 36) and you'll be fine.

The thing about 36h is that if you bust a spoke the rim doesn't go as much out of true as lesser spoke wheels. this means that when you are on a ride a busted spoke won't end your ride. I had a pair of 32h mavic MA3 wheels that came on my jake the snake cross bike and would pop a spoke every o now and then. No big deal, just a little out of true but I could finish my ride.

just my input - i raced for 6 years in the late 80's and early 90's and worked in bike shops in high school and college.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, the reviews for ROL are good. I sent them an e-mail to ask about the weight thing. If I've been fortunate with these wheels @ 16/20, maybe the ROLs, @ 20/24 may do the job. BUT, I know all the literature says to crank up the number of spokes- significantly. Also, as one article noted (Dave's Wheels), when going up in # of spokes, you can use a lighter gauge because of the increased stability from more spokes.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, there's no doubt that I'm going to need to go to the 36. As I noted, I've been pretty lucky so far and have not popped any spokes. Boy, if I do, my ride ends... The damn thing might disintegrate from beneath me!

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
voodooguy said:
Yeah, there's no doubt that I'm going to need to go to the 36.
Depends on the rim and build. You've been riding on 16 spokes without issues, so increasing that by more than double would not be necessary.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It sure seems that way. I'm anxious to hear from ROL has to say and, as I get closer to making a purchase, I'll certainly bring up what you mention here... Do I really need to go double on the spokes...

·
Clyde-o-Matic
713 Posts
If you want a lighter weight - go with Kinlin 30 rims to White hubs - 28 spokes of your favorite. I like cx rays. I went from 260 to 220 on a pair of these last year. Approximately 6K of miles with nary an issue. Have your LBS source the parts and do the build or call White Mountain.

·
Registered
85 Posts
ROL customer service is great. However, I popped a spoke during a century on my Volants. They only had about 2000 miles on them and I weighed 175 at the time. This could be an isolated incident, and Sean at Rol says he rides them at ~190 lbs, but I would never recommend those wheels to someone over 200lbs. Sean hooked me up with more spokes, by the way, as well as a new freehub body (mine was chewed up from the cassette). Great wheels, but not for 200+ lb riders.

I've had terrible luck with wheels, especially on centuries. 3 centuries, 3 broken spokes, 3 different (factory built) wheelsets :mad2: ZERO DNF's :D

I've since began building my own wheels using higher spoke counts. :aureola:

·
banned from the museum
6,622 Posts
I recently had my wheels rebuilt, because the rims finally wore out. I probably put 18000-20000 miles on this particular set. They were Velocity Fusion rims, with 36 spokes in the rear, 32 in the front. 14-15-14 spokes with brass nipples, triple crossed. I re-greased the hubs, and and the rims replaced with Velocity Deep-V rims. I love them. I weigh a bit more than you, but I use similar wheels for commuting, pulling a trailer, and a trail-a-bike. I paid about $250 for the pair initially, and it was about $200 for the rebuild.

I can't recommend Velocity rims enough.

Is there an uber-clyde class? That would be me.

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
well if you want something light

rims
edge 2.68 rims
strong, carbon, aero

spokes
sapim cxray
so strong they are rated for downhill

hubs
Alchemy Elf and orc (the orc will be out in 3 weeks)
widest flanges of any hub on the market
super thick axels
huge ceramic bearings insanely durable
the set weighs about the same as a tune mig 75 and mag 180
these are the stiffest, the highest quality, the longest road hubs you can buy.
you cannot build a stiffer road wheel with any other hub set.
this is before you even begin to consider how light they are!!

·
Registered
796 Posts
I am 230....had Mavic Equipes on my Tarmac that I just sold and not problem 1 with them. Getting ready to do a custom build Tarmac and will probably go back with the Equipes. I know they aren't the best, but being a heavier rider, they performed well for me.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, Sean from ROL Wheels got back to me and said they often lace higher spoke counts. They don't offer that option on their web page, but I'm glad to hear that possibility is there. So, this is where I'm at:
ROL Race SL 28/32 DT Aerolite spoke & Prolite nips (I think they are bladed and dbl butted) vs.
DT 1.2 w/ Chris King hubs, 32/32 Wheelsmith dbl butted, alloy nipples, 3x lacing (Tx Cycle Sports)
So far, the price difference is negligible. Any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts