1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
wow, I consider myself Mr. Ethical Business but if 6 people reporting brake pads were wearing was all I had to go on I'd probably say fck it to a recall.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I don't mind pads wearing fast, keeps me from having to sand them and such. I'll take a pair of those wheels too please.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow, I consider myself Mr. Ethical Business but if 6 people reporting brake pads were wearing was all I had to go on I'd probably say fck it to a recall.

Come to think of it, if the brake pads are wearing faster, does that mean the rims will wear slower? Is the alloy possibly harder? New pads are much cheaper than new rims/wheels!

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Lets see, create an abrasive brake track and rubber pads will wear quickly? Hmmm, who knew? :) Seems it would have been a better idea to create a better brake pad to run with those rims; similar concept to pads used for carbon rims.

I suppose they must have changed the brake track enough so that it is still rough enough to sell as different, but smooth enough that people will not whine about brake wear.

Odd that this warranted a "recall". It seems more of a preference thing than a safety thing.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
I agree with the general sentiment here, but you know there is some dolt out there that will run the pads down to nothing and never inspect their bike. Then they will blame Hed for their "JRA"

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with the general sentiment here, but you know there is some dolt out there that will run the pads down to nothing and never inspect their bike. Then they will blame Hed for their "JRA"

Exactly. It all comes down to CYA. Darwin Award winners (the ones who survive) and their families can sue too.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Key words "bar from selling". They could donate them to me. I'll pay shipping. Or they could send them to me for disposal/recycling.

Or you could just dumpster dive outside the factory. :D

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I know it's all in jest, but in reality I bet they take all the rims and sell for scrap. Aluminium has good value that way.
Yes. Even if not, rims would have to be rendered useless before disposal.

I know a small engine manufacturer that on occasion will have to dispose of engines that were removed from new equipment in order to test prototype engines. The new takeoffs are offered to employees at a deep discount. Those that do not sell get a hammer put through the engine block and tossed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts