Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
A.K.A. Pitty-Cent....
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get to buy one set of wheels that will need to last me for years to come.... I typically ride sprint distance but will do two Olympic distance Tri's and several TT's this year. On the flats I'm typically a 23-25 mph rider. Hills, not so much. :) These will go on a TT frame and replace some Taiwanese Carbon 50 tubulars with bladed spokes.

I've looked at the marketing fluff over and over and am leading towards the HED3 clinchers but figured I'd see if anyone has used either or both....

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I ran HED 3s for a while. They were very strong, ran them as everyday wheels. Had some 404s for a while, they seemed lighter and a little higher end, but also a little bit more delicate (this is all subjective, never had a problem with them).

But I did hit a rock on a fast downhill and cracked the front hed 3. No rebuilding or anything- one good hit and it's toast, so you just have to consider that. I think I could get a new one from HED for about $400 crash replacement.

Overall I'd lean toward the HED3. They look awesome.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Get an aero helmet if you don't already have one. It's an equal if not greater aero gain than going from training wheels to aero wheels and a good one costs $160 (far less than top end wheels). Have a look at Bontrager Aeolus 6.5's too, probably the strongest aero wheels out there.

·
A.K.A. Pitty-Cent....
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I do have an LG Helmet coming already. The Bontragers look great but they seem to run about $1k more. An appealing thing about the HED's is that they can be had for around $1600 and the data looks great. I just see so many people on 404's that I'm feeling they are probably the mainstay and worth the $$.

·
Registered
896 Posts
i run the bontrager Aeleous 5.0's. they are bullet proof. i've crashed them in 2 crits and not eaven the slightest wobble in the rim, after getting lateral tears in the tire from the sideways forces. I train on these wheels as well. they are basically always on my bike. Pez cycling did a write awhile back and that is what sold me on them. I did not want to spend $2.5k on the set so I got them NIB on ebay for $1500. worth every penny and I would do it again in a heartbeat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.