Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone do it?

For those that used 100% nitrogen, how long does it last?

For helium and hydrogen, can you please tell us your experience?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
A) The volume of helium in a bike tire is so small, it'd have almost no effect - a few grams
B) The helium would leak through the tube faster than air... your experiment wouldn't last long.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,425 Posts
Helium. Then my tires can sing two octaves higher.

·
Registered
429 Posts
You got the wrong idea: Instead of making your tires lighter, you should fill your buddies tires with radon.

-Diffusion through the tube membrane solved. Check
-Eventually decays into lead. Check

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
But it's "rotational weight", so every gram counts :wink:
Hmmm, but does the gas inside a tire rotate with the tire?

Actually, I'm sure it does for the most part. But between laminar and turbulent flow and the physics involved in that.... I'd like to see an animation of it.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
I wonder how many hours it would take for a hydrogen filled tire to go from 100 psi to 70 psi.?..........PS. Plain air is 80% Nitrogen......for free.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,421 Posts
Troll much???

Over at Jalopnik, they just did a story about this. The conclusion: For whaetever money you are paying, all you get as ~15% more N2 than you get in plain air.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Anyone do it?

For those that used 100% nitrogen, how long does it last?

For helium and hydrogen, can you please tell us your experience?
Nope, never touch the stuff. I use good old fashion air. Doesn't cost anything and it has never let me down.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The reason for nitrogen is that it is dry. Condensation/vaporization of water from air can cause fluctuations in pressure. On a car that will more likely operate under a wider array of temperatures and will potentially be going 70+ mph it's of a much larger (though still not large enough for me) concern.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
The reason for nitrogen is that it is dry. Condensation/vaporization of water from air can cause fluctuations in pressure. On a car that will more likely operate under a wider array of temperatures and will potentially be going 70+ mph it's of a much larger (though still not large enough for me) concern.
What he said. It should also be noted that nitrogen compresses less than air, but that is minor. Add that that air is 78% nitrogen. In theory you could add a moisture filter/removal component to your air compressor and get the same result.

On a bicycle, it is worthless as the heat and moisture content in a bike tire would be negligible.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts