Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was the only time I've ever thought "hrm, a triple would be nice right now."

Or, I would have, if I could THINK straight.

The other thought was "WHY did they build this road?"

Okay, so it's only .4 mile. And only 300 feet of gain.

But any steeper and I literally would not have been able to ride my bike up it. My HAC-4 spat out 27% at one section. I somehow Boonen'd it up. My riding partner simply fell over sideways, cursed a few times, and walked.

Maybe since it was a cliffside, it was already paved with ... rock, and they just ... painted it?

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
twowheelMarc said:
According to Gmap-pedometer.com, distance .2828 miles, elevation change approx 300 ft - average grade = approx. 20%
omfg. argentius, i'm flying out. kay? i'm spending the night at your house.
:p
-estone2

· Registered
35 Posts
As someone who used to live out there, I know that area well... they don't call it the West Hills for nothing! I didn't ride back then, but there was a hill by my house that was brutal just to walk up... Go into the Bauer Woods development off Saltzman Road and follow the hill all the way up. There are numerous others off of Thompson and Skyline, as you found out!

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Twowheel -- thanks for the site! And, yeah, the AVERAGE is like 20%. There's a 12% section near the start, which balances out that 27% near the end...

Estone -- hah, sure, anytime. We can have a slow-motion duel up it, it'll look like Brasstown Bald this year. If we don't fall over.

NC -- yeah, the whole area is full of good stuff. But this is absolutely the worst I've found. I know the one you're talking about of Saltzman, it's a doozy, too, but the "OMFG, I cannot pedal my bike" bit is much shorter.

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Argentius said:
Twowheel -- thanks for the site! And, yeah, the AVERAGE is like 20%. There's a 12% section near the start, which balances out that 27% near the end...

Estone -- hah, sure, anytime. We can have a slow-motion duel up it, it'll look like Brasstown Bald this year. If we don't fall over.

NC -- yeah, the whole area is full of good stuff. But this is absolutely the worst I've found. I know the one you're talking about of Saltzman, it's a doozy, too, but the "OMFG, I cannot pedal my bike" bit is much shorter.
27% max I think outdoes anything on Mountains of Misery.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=62429

· Premium Member
10,106 Posts
bas said:
27% max I think outdoes anything on Mountains of Misery.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=62429

The Mountains of Misery is a different animal. I doubt that there is nothing steeper than 15-17% on the MofM. But, the short steep rollers, the two major climbs and the heat this year added up such that the steep parts of the last climb were a real killer. On the other hand, I would guess that a 27% grade is a killer even if one is fresh and all other conditions are OK. The only thing that I possibly could compare it to is Lombard Street in San Francisco. I did the climb a few weeks before the Tour of California's prologue was run over it. Although I can get my heart rate up to 192 on the indoor trainer, I never have gotten it above 185 or so outside -- until I went up Lombard Street. By the time I reached the top, my heart rate was over 190 and I was going so slow that it felt like I was doing a track stand rather than moving forward.

· Registered
195 Posts
there's a ride here in pittsburgh called the dirty dozen, 13 steepest roads in pgh. steepest here goes for a block, is cobbled, _37%_. possibly the steepest paved road in the world, the other around that is in austrailia i think.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05330/612834.stm

although i rode a longer hill in LA that seemed as steep or steeper, people ride up it every year, can't remember what it was called...

· pass the hot sauce
197 Posts
Only made it about halfway up Brynwood before full system failure... it is one steep mofo for sure.

Here is another recommendation: SW 12th Ave, near PSU, follow it across a bridge over I-405, then look for a right turn up SW College ST. Take that up to SW 16th Ave (you should be in great difficulty at this point as College averages over 20%), then turn left and follow the street as it stair steps up to SW Hawthorne Ter. The steps tend to get steeper as you go up. Catch your breath, go straight and look for a left down Broadway and back to downtown. Repeat loop as necessary.

· Registered
108 Posts
Where in Australia?

wooden legs said:
there's a ride here in pittsburgh called the dirty dozen, 13 steepest roads in pgh. steepest here goes for a block, is cobbled, _37%_. possibly the steepest paved road in the world, the other around that is in austrailia i think.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05330/612834.stm

although i rode a longer hill in LA that seemed as steep or steeper, people ride up it every year, can't remember what it was called...

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hah!

That was actually part of my (semi-) daily routine for a while, as I lived on the PSU campus at SW12th and Montgomery. I'd either take College or Montgomery to Vista, heading up to council crest.

It's pretty nasty, but not SO bad.

The thing about Brynwood is it's SO steep and SO narrow that you basically only get 1 go at it. No chance for terracing or restarting.

· pass the hot sauce
197 Posts
Montgomery is defintely my preferred route...

Going up something like College or Brynwood sort of recalibrated my amazement of those classics guys who can charge straight up roads that are similar (or worse) grades and are cobbled. Blows my mind.

· Premium Member
10,106 Posts
mquetel said:
Montgomery is defintely my preferred route...

Going up something like College or Brynwood sort of recalibrated my amazement of those classics guys who can charge straight up roads that are similar (or worse) grades and are cobbled. Blows my mind.

Going up the cobbles is the easy part. I did part of the Tour of Flanders cyclosportif this Spring. The cobbled climbs are hard, no doubt about it. But, I thought that descending and riding at 40 km/h on the cobbles was even harder. I think that the key to climbing steep, cobbled climbs in Belgium is that you are so stressed from the wonderful weather (often cold, driving rain), and the pain in your whole body from the jarring of the cobbles that you really don't notice that your legs feel like they are going to fall off. But, the classics guys really are amazing -- I think that Tom Boonen did the last 70 km of the Tour of Flanders about 4 times faster than I did.

· pass the hot sauce
197 Posts
In the next couple of years I have got to get over to Belgium and get a taste of those climbs first hand! I did the Ventoux and Alpe d'Huez in 2003, the cobblestones are next... then the Dolomites, then the Pyrenees...

· Registered
4,838 Posts
Maybe you are now ready for Manayunk Wall.

http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=3422

Argentius said:

But any steeper and I literally would not have been able to ride my bike up it. My HAC-4 spat out 27% at one section. I somehow Boonen'd it up. My riding partner simply fell over sideways, cursed a few times, and walked.

Maybe since it was a cliffside, it was already paved with ... rock, and they just ... painted it?

· Registered
246 Posts
Chilicothe OH

I have ridden many roads around Chilicothe, OH in which you watch that grade hit 20% and you feel like dying. Congrats on getting up it.

Argentius said:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.