Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
So I've been reading through the forums and such for a while but have never posted. Finally decided to make the leap into actually buying my first bike after doing lots of research and such. Finally decided on the Allez Comp Sram Apex, loving it so far but i have a few questions. Have only had it for about a week so far and I'm just curious on the little things i need to keep up with. It's still brand new, is there anything i should check/lube etc? How often should i clean/lube the chain, and is there any other maint. that I should do? Otherwise i know my LBS that i purchased on will do maint on it..

And last here's a picture of the beast!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Congrats...nice looking bike you got there. I am not loving the green saddle but the rest is sweet. My only other gripe is the angle from which the photo was taken. I thinK a level straight on side shot, rather than looking up a bit would look better.

Cheers,

Brian J.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!! :thumbsup:

Ride often and ride safe...

RE: the maintenance question: Ask 10 cyclists about chain maintenance and you'll get 10 responses, ranging from nearly sanitizing it to "you have to clean a chain?? :eek:"

But FWIW I use ProLink and thoroughly clean/ lube the chain once a week. It's not necessary to remove the chain and the process is simple. Lube thoroughly (one drop per roller), let stand (a couple of hours to overnight is fine), then using a rag or some paper towels, wipe to remove dirt and excess lube. I wipe down the cassette, chainrings and RD pulleys as well.

In between that cleaning, maybe twice weekly I follow that general process, but don't thoroughly lube the chain. Rather, I just put some lube on a rag (or similar) and holding it around the chain, crank backwards to spin the chain thru the rag. Use the same process when doing the thorough cleaning to remove dirt and excess lube.

Regarding general maintenance, if you're having your LBS do the work, bring it in for the first tuneup after a couple of hundred miles, or when the shifting becomes sloppy. Cables don't stretch much anymore, but they do conform to their path, so it's often necessary to tighten cabling to compensate. Obviously, bring the bike in sooner if you're experiencing any other problems as well, including tweaks to fit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hah, sorry about the reflectors, like i said, i had just brought it home, think i had only rode it for a mile or two before taking that photo (hell, i hadn't even put bottles on yet). And the green saddle is just a rental, the stock seat i think was to narrow, so the LBS let me borrow this one to try it out. Anyone have suggestions on a wider saddle?

·
Registered
37 Posts
tmx84 said:
Hah, sorry about the reflectors, like i said, i had just brought it home, think i had only rode it for a mile or two before taking that photo (hell, i hadn't even put bottles on yet). And the green saddle is just a rental, the stock seat i think was to narrow, so the LBS let me borrow this one to try it out. Anyone have suggestions on a wider saddle?
I use a Selle Italia Flite Max Gel Flow. This one comes in 150mm width.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.