Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site and also to road bikes. I've been doing a little research on bikes under $500. I've read a few articles online and have found some that are in my price range. I've been cruising Craigslist, but haven't found any that are in my price range. My price range btw is $300-$400. Should I just save more or are there bikes out there? I don't want to spend a lot on a bike, just in case I find road cycling isn't for me. Any help and input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bob

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I'm new to this site and also to road bikes. I've been doing a little research on bikes under $500. I've read a few articles online and have found some that are in my price range. I've been cruising Craigslist, but haven't found any that are in my price range. My price range btw is $300-$400. Should I just save more or are there bikes out there? I don't want to spend a lot on a bike, just in case I find road cycling isn't for me. Any help and input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Bob
Depending on a number of factors (but primarily, region) CL is hit or miss.

You may want to call around to LBS's asking if they carry used bikes, check out bike coops, garage sales, or community newspapers for classified listings. If possible, expand your search to neighboring areas. It sometimes takes time and patience.

If local searches fail, you could consider buying online, but keep in mind that you have to determine sizing requirements beforehand and will need to get the bike assembled, tuned and fitted by either tapping a LBS (and paying a charge) or doing these things yourself. Some things to consider.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
There are bikes. It's a tough pricepoint in a new road bike, but not impossible.

When I broke my previous commuter bike's frame, I decided that it wasn't worth trying to migrate to a new frame, and shopped around for a new bike. I had a couple of front-runners, but the only one that seems to still be in catalogs now is the Torker Interurban. It lists for above your pricepoint right now, unfortunately.

There are some other approaches to buying used bikes that have worked for me at different times. The easiest is probably buying a used bike from a shop. This takes some phoning around upfront, but all the cities I've lived in (admittedly the smallest was Santa Cruz, CA with a population of 60,000 and some contiguous towns) have had at least one shop that specializes in used. So once once you find it, it should have a decent selection. Then you can ride a bunch of bikes and buy your favorite. Size and geometry of the bike are important, so I think it's important to be able to try a few. It's actually relatively intuitive, once one has a basis for comparison.

I've also bought from friends. When I killed my commuter, that was ultimately how I replaced it.

With Craig's List, sometimes it just takes some patience. I don't know how long you've been watching. When I bought my track bike, I had a saved search running on CL for about three weeks before I found the right thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.