Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Folsom City Blues...
7,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is my first post here on RBR. It's been a while since I've owned a road bike. I've been riding a GF Big Sur MB for about the last ten years. I wish I hadn't sold my old steel road bikes, but no use cryiong over spilled milk.

Well, anyhoo, I've been researching and searching for a new road bike for the pass three months. Been through quite a few brands in the prossess. I pretty much went through all the big names bicycles. Specialized, Trek, Lemonds, Giant, Kestrel, Fuji, Felt, Soma and C'dale. Road CF, Steel and Aluminun bikes.

I really wanted a steel bike, but I couldn't find one at a resonal price with at least Shimano Ultegra through out. So after all the riding and in and out of LBS, I went with the C'dale R 1000 in the stright race red.

Thus far the R 1000 feels good for short 20~30 miles rides and longer 40~60 mile rides. I haven't felt the negative comments that C'dale's CAAD 8 frames are only good for the short and forgetaboutit, if you want to take her for a long run.

The only negative about C'dale's so far, is that they can ding and dent easly and they have a short use life. So, if my new R 1000 last only two to three years. I guess I can just puchase a nice steel frame and swap out all the R's parts to the new steel frame.

When the time comes, I'll most likely will order a steel frame from Rivendell Bicycle Works. The one that cought my eye is the Rambouillet. Here a link if you'd like to take a look...

http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/html/bikes_rambouilletframes.html

Peace

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
The fragility of Cannondales is kind of exaggerated by competitors. You'll get as many seasons out of your Canny as you want, and will probably have the itch for something new long before your frame is toast! For steel at a similar price point, did you check Lemond? I was thinking the Croix de Fer was almost full Ultegra, and I assume they still make the Buenos Aires and/or the Zurich.

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
R 1000 said:
The only negative about C'dale's so far, is that they can ding and dent easly and they have a short use life. So, if my new R 1000 last only two to three years. I guess I can just puchase a nice steel frame and swap out all the R's parts to the new steel frame.
This, as JT says, is greatly exaggerated. The 2-3 seasons figure was tossed out once for Pros who thrash their frames all season long, in and out of team trucks, and see serious miles. The average racer or rec rider will get a much longer life out of a frame.

As for the steel frame I'd urge you to research other offerings. Rivendell is mainly propelled by Peterson's alternative take on bike fit and the frames are somewhat overpriced for what you get. Many other companies produce wonderful steel frames that are also affordable like Surly or any number of Italian brands (Bianchi, DeBernardi, etc) or even USA made frames like Gunnar.

·
Folsom City Blues...
7,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RyanPenn21,

No, not really. It's just that I've grown up with steel bikes and feel that they have all the quality and of both CF and Alu and none of the bad equated with CF and Alu.

Comfortable, long lasting and great looking. Check out the link at the bottom of my post and you'll have many questions answered about the virtues of an old school steel bike.

Even though I just purchased the R 1000, I'll probably be purchasing the Rambouillet fully built from Rivendall Bicycle works in the next year or so. I don't think you can go wrong with having both bikes. :idea:

jtolleson,

As a matter of fact I did ckeck out and road three Lemonds. The Croix de Fer 105/Ultegra 9 speed, the Sarthe Ultegra 10 speed and the Zurich which is part steel frame and carbon with Ultegra 10 speed. I really felt good about the frames, but I wasn't feeling all the Bontrager wheels, tires and other equipment on the Lemonds.

I've never cared for Terk bicycles and Lemonds are part of the Terk production. As well as the Bontrager equipment.

That's why I went with the R 1000, even though it's not steel. I don't have to do any major up grades. I can just ride the R 1000 stock till the tires go and the saddle starts to feel uncomfortable. Then I'll look into better tires and a good saddle... :thumbsup:

Peace

·
Folsom City Blues...
7,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
asterisk,

Thanks for the heads up! I'll check out Surly and Gunnar as soon as I get out of here. I'm glad you and JT chimed in with thoughts on the durability of C'dale's. I really like the R 1000 and hope to get many years of good riding on it.

I still want an old school style road bike in the not too distance future. But, in the mean time. I'm happy with my brand spankin new C'dale. It's funny, but the C'dale was the last one on my list. I never thought I'd be cought dead on a C'dale. But, dang! My mama always told me, never say never!

Now as soon as the sun starts to cool from the day. I'm going to get geared up and go for a nice sunset ride out here in Folsom California. I really can't say how nice the R 1000 rides. C'dale make a quality bicycle at a very decent price...

Peace

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
I understand the love of old style steel. I satisfied my desire for that by picking up an old lugged celeste Bianchi (perfect paint, Shimano 600 stuff, good condition) and using it for certain easy club rides. So, if you are feeling nostalgic, snoop around eBay. I think I snagged the Bianchi for like $325.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.