Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Biking Enthusiasts
My name is Mark and I am from Ontario, Canada.
Last year I bought an older Trex 700 Hybrid and started biking around the neighborhood a bit until a flat tire put me on the sidelines at the end of the season.
At the beginning of this year I decided that a lifestyle change was in order.
I was quite a bit overweight (256 1/2 lbs and 5' 10" tall) and having trouble putting my socks on.
A trip to a nutritionist to get my eating habits in order and to figure out some exercise program that would be good for me.
So at first it was off to the treadmill for an hour a day. When the better weather came around I looked at the old Trex and decided to upgrade it a bit.
So I installed a set of straight bars, some Nimbus Flaxjacket tires and a Zoom adjustable stem to get the bars lower and out front more.
I love riding now and I try to get in between 15 - 25 km's a night (which is sometimes hard due to work, family and other commitments).
Someday I hope to get a proper road bike but for now this bike does the job.
Since May 4, 2013, between the treadmill and the bike I have lost 42 1/2 lbs and I feel better than I ever have :D.I still have 15 - 20 lbs to go
I found this site through a Google search and I have been reading here for a few days.
Lots of good info and reading.
I am happy to now be a part of this forum

Mark

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Welcome Mark. I'm in Ontario too. Yes, you found a great site here with lots of knowledgeable people with good advice. I'll point out that this site is called Road Bike Review for a reason - a big part of the site is its Review section where people comment on bikes and their parts. It's a great resource and better than advertizing hype.

It has a good search function too and it could be that most topics have been covered many times before. Keep riding, losing weight and come back often to talk about your experiences.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Welcome Mark! It's so great to hear about people who are changing lifestyles to attain goals that change lives. You are doing a fine job, keep up the good work. There's nothing wrong with a road bike that has flat handlebars. Your bike looks really cool. There is room down the road to change up the type of bike you ride as you progress in your weight loss and ways of riding. So glad that you found us. Don't stop riding and great things will happen!

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Welcome Mark,

I'm also in Ontario (1000 Islands region).

I have learned so much from the threads here on RBR, there are some very knowledgeable members here.

I started out biking on a mountain bike after I injured my ankle and couldn't use the elliptical machine. I got passed one day by a beautiful TT bike, didn't like it, so I went to my local bike store and told the owner I didn't like getting passed as if I was standing still, so I bought my first road bike. Am now addicted and love it as a weight maintenance activity.

·
Steel, steel, steel
17 Posts
Hi Mark,

As a quebecker, I love cycling in Ontario...your roads are in general better paved and drivers more courteous than in la belle province (although I've never biked in T.O.)

Looking forward to summer vacation this year in Prince Edward County, it's a really great place to log some miles...

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
Ontario is a sort of largish province. Any chance of narrowing it down a bit?

Although I live on the other side of the lake, my family has a summer place in the Rideau Lakes region near Westport. My turn comes in August this year.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Congratulations on the weight loss!!

Do yourself a favour and get a seat bag with a tube repair kit and a pump plus make sure you know how to change a flat. Your doing well but a flat tire is a poor excuse to stop riding, its actually a pretty big part of riding as its always happening.
As your rides get longer you don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere with a flat trust me...

Also from Ontario, welcome!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the welcomes and for the encouragement :D

I live about 1 hour southwest of Hamilton towards Lake Erie outside of a little town called Fisherville.
When I got the flat tire, I had full intentions of a repair but one thing led to another and it got colder and forgotten about.
I did buy a small bag for under the seat to put my cellphone and some tools in it, I will have to get a spare tube and tire repair kit and see if I can jam it all in there.
It is quite a lifestyle change for me.I don't call it a diet because I actually eat more during the day than I used to. I am on the road a lot for my job and now take a lunch instead of buying and also have at least 4 big bottles of water with me to drink throughout the day....it keeps me feeling full. Then there is 4 more bottles of water for at home after work.
It makes me nauseous just to walk into a McDonalds restaurant and smell the food. I sure won't eat it anymore

Mark

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do like their coffee better than Timmies too it's not as bitter but Timmies makes a good whole wheat orange carrot muffin which by the way has more calories than some of their doughnuts!!

Mark

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.