Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a lurker, but have posted from time to time. Lemme see....something to post.....hmmmm...

Maybe there is a thread about this, but what are your other hobbies or interests, other than cycling?

Mine:
Building and flying radio controlled airplanes
Model rockets
Radio controlled sailboats
(Yeah, I'm a nerd)
Sailing
Scuba diving
Shooting pistols
Collecting military patches ( work related)
Cooking

I thoroughly enjoy working on my bike. I hate working on my cars.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,151 Posts
Lol, nerd

Kidding, of course...

I'm getting into guitars and music... getting back into longboards after a few years away from the scene... videogames are a perennial favorite; I'm ninjachuki on both PS3 and Steam... hunting, fishing, and general outdoors stuff...and I wish I could afford to pay for a project vehicle, be it a muscle car or some other type of hot rod.

·
Registered
396 Posts
jason124 said:
Aside from cycling, I have dabbled in photography, but been careful to not be too gung ho in pursuing it as I can easily go broke on lenses. I do still experiment with what I have and enjoy doing time-lapse, long exposure, macro and landscapes (basically anything aside from portraits or people).

One of my long time passions has been automotive work. Both detailing and wrenching. This has the side benefit of doing all of my own vehicle maintenance and repairs. My project car is actually my second car, a 1982 Mercedes 300SD. Had it for 13 years and definitely needs some work. Still have some confidence issues with tackling some of the bigger jobs.

This past weekend, I picked up my first kayak and also acquired a fishing license after 16 years of not fishing. Forgot how much fun fishing can be... now to divide the time between riding, kayaking and fishing.
This year, haven't really done photography aside from a trip to Yosemite back in April, haven't touched my project car but been doing lots of maintenance on others (yes, its a hobby too). Haven't been out on the water at all with the 'yak. Went fishing a few times. Dabbled in camping again this year. Does being a workaholic count as a hobby?

·
half-fast
7,386 Posts
I have many ways I goof off.

Work in garage.

Yardwork is a new hobby since we moved. Not sure about this one, but I have been able to purchase an Echo trimmer thanks to Lownger advice, and just replaced chainsaw with a Stihl, so there's that.

Ride around in my little johnboat. pretend to fish. nap.

Play with Rocky. Dog breed Dog Comfort Snout Carnivore

Cooking on the grill and smoker.

Learning how to vint.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,919 Posts
I have many ways I goof off.

Work in garage.

Yardwork is a new hobby since we moved. Not sure about this one, but I have been able to purchase an Echo trimmer thanks to Lownger advice, and just replaced chainsaw with a Stihl, so there's that.

Ride around in my little johnboat. pretend to fish. nap.

Play with Rocky. View attachment 319841

Cooking on the grill and smoker.

Learning how to vint.
Rocky's getting pretty gray about the muzzle!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,919 Posts
I'm afraid I am also.

Dumb joke. Made wine this spring from juice. Gonna grow my own grapes.

A vintner must vint, right?
I am WAY more than a Touch0Gray at this point, more like "whiteface" and the hair......what's left is getting pretty gray. The good news is I save a LOT of money on shampoo

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Was obsessed with copper patina last year, haven't been messing around with that lately (no desire to be out in the garage in the heat.)

Also haven't been reading as much since I'm not confined to the train commute. That was a great way to get reading in.

Current obsession: Learning to sew using fabric sourced from broken umbrellas. There's no shortage of broken umbrellas in the city, and it's fun finding ones with nice colors. I'm making drawstring backpacks out of them since that's easy enough. Might give away the prototypes to homeless people.

Took an HTML course online, so I know a teeny bit about that. Took an ITIL course but not very motivated to get a certificate in it (will I ever be managing an IT department??)

Other than that, mostly family stuff.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Grew up with guns and always owned a couple but have gone for decades without shooting. Don't really care for hunting (killing) since I shot a rabbit back in '79.

Looking for new hobbies and interests around the beginning of the year and discovered the .22 rimfire shooting competitions. Locally I can shoot NRA metallic silhouette, benchrest, NSSF steel challenge and club variations.
Since I own a 77/22, 10/22, 22/45 and Win M490 I've already got the guns to get me started but have bought 2 more 10/22s to mod into silhouette/target and speed steel guns.

Lately learned of feral hog problem. Don't care to kill innocent animals but intelligent, mean, aggressive hogs are something else. Can get as big as 800lbs and will attack when pissed off. Often hunted in thick brush and vegetation around rivers and creeks with chance of face-to-face meetings. Bacon!!!
Excited to build my first AR in 6.5 Grendel for Texas hog hunts (and long-range plinking).

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Just bought a new scull, hoping to do some recreational rowing as a compliment to cycling.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I've been lurking a long time too. Besides riding my bike I have no life. Long time ago I rode with the Briones Mafia a few times. This was a much smaller site back then.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Hmm... hobbies. Well, there's cycling obviously. Then there's obsessing over fantasy builds- but I guess that's also cycling?
Okay, so beer, that's a big one for me. Too big if I'm honest.
I love puttering around in the garage. (usually beer and cycling related though).
I used to be waaaay into cars, so there's some vestigal interest there... (2 modded cars in the garage, while my wife's Crosstrek is relegated to the driveway).
Let's see, plenty of interest in art and military history...

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Lately learned of feral hog problem. Don't care to kill innocent animals but intelligent, mean, aggressive hogs are something else
I don't like factory farming so I only eat fish anymore, but this is okay in my book. If animals are going to be killed anyway on account of being a dangerous nuisance, it's great that they're also edible!

My husband would order the boarburgers at Bareburger, and he liked them, but they stopped selling them due to lack of demand. I was pretty disappointed.

·
Super Moderator
40,807 Posts
I don't like factory farming so I only eat fish anymore, but this is okay in my book. If animals are going to be killed anyway on account of being a dangerous nuisance, it's great that they're also edible!

My husband would order the boarburgers at Bareburger, and he liked them, but they stopped selling them due to lack of demand. I was pretty disappointed.
Aw, I applaud your efforts, but aquaculture is doing to the salmon, tilapia, shrimp, et al., what agriculture has done to the chicken and cow:

https://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/insight/factory-fish-farming

The Monterey Bay Aquarium is a good source of info on avoiding problematic seafood (there's even an app you can get): Conservation & Science Programs for Businesses and Consumers - Seafood Watch

1 - 16 of 16 Posts