1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm looking to begin biking and have my eyes on this used bike:
https://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/blnc/130428/330r1/4771719_20.jpeg
(The photo is not the actual bike I'm looking to buy)

Model is:
Giant OCR 3 Aluxx Butted 6000 Series. Shimano Sora. Less than 100 miles. Medium Size.

Asking price is $275. I just want a nice beginners bike and I'm not sure if that's a good deal. I'm also on a budget and would prefer to spend around $200 for a used bike.

Anyone have input? Should I buy it or get another model? Anything would help. Thanks!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Welcome!

If your goal is to simply get into the game and just ride then there is nothing wrong with it as long as its the right size, couple easy checks..
1, adjust the seat so your leg is straight and the pedal is at 5 oclock forward, putting your foot in the normal position will give you a slight bend.
2, raise pedal to horizontal, looking down your pedal axle will line up with the front of your knee.
3, with both feet on the pedals sitting down and leaning on a wall get into the drops, you handlebar should be covering the axle of the front wheel when you look down.

If everything was pretty close you can adjust it to fit better, if its far out or your seat is a lot higher than the bars it may not be the best fit.

Use it as it is, an entry level bike, if you like to ride move up at the end of the season and sell this one off.
The budget you have is really low so don't expect much quality in anything newer, I would go used at $400, some great bikes at that price but again it comes down to what your using it for.

·
Crash Test Dummy
157 Posts
Welcome to RBR!!!

Ride what you like and can afford, the main focus is just getting on the road. I ride a 1996 KHS that bought locally for 100.00 and stay with my friends on new trek carbon bikes. To me it's not necessarily what you spend but how you ride as long as your bike fits you.

·
Lost in Space...
3,434 Posts
If the shoe fits...

The price is good for a barely used bike that probably costs $600 or more brand new. For a first bike, anything will do while your body gets used to riding in general. You can always update parts later if and when they break; I wouldn't worry about replacing anything unless it breaks.

Most important factors at this point are that it fits, the price is right, and the bike hasn't been abused.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.