Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi kids,

What a catchy title eh? Been lurking some. Life has been crazy last few years, literally and figuratively at times. Been pretty darn sad a lot. Woodworking and fabrication for the mean time has taken some of the place of cycling, trying to change that now and get a mountain bike.

Kiddo is going onto her Junior year at KU in Lawrence. Doing so good.

After years of toiling and making others money I finally had the confidence to try to strike out on my own. Those of you who are FB friends have seen that. Anyway, I definitely continue to improve and by no means am I great. I joke that one day I don't have to call it Crapsmanship.

Trying to use bike parts and hardware a lot. Make nice, craft level storage systems for bikes. Home, garage, etc. Also, make store fixtures.

Anyway, the woodworking certainly helps with the depression stuff. Long term goal is get okay enough at fabrication that I can come up with a few products or designs that I can sell off rights to, or produce. Already working on those ideas and I won't post them public until its time. Anyway, nice feedback appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Some nice stuff you got there. I love classic cycling images, and have a thing for advertising art, so that TdF 1948 is especially nice.

That wood bench with the metal.......wow. It's got that industrial chic vibe that's so popular at the moment, but I really like that look. Plus it appears to re-use materials.

·
Always changing.....
4,523 Posts
You have made some really cool items. I think bike frame wine rack would sell in a heartbeat. Great work!

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
Good to hear from you. I love the industrial vibe on some of those pieces.

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Very cool stuff indeed. I dig the wine rack.

Cycling is the best antidepressant; get out and ride!

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
I like it--a nice mix of old wood and metal.

It's great that you are doing what you want--life is short, so you should get cracking on what pleases you.

I agree with Buckeye---riding is the best thing I know for cheering me up--although we have also been taking Sam-E for a while now. My wife is really sensitive to the improvement it seems to make in her moods; me less so, although that plus some other supplements (B, D especially) does seem to keep me on a more even keel.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
With all the changes going on at this job, it can really take its toll mentally. The biggest loss will be the bike commute and the cheap, modern gym in the basement.

There's a possibility of working at a place outside the city, but it would entail a drive. The biking would be miserable due to suburban roads and no bike lanes (maybe a small sidewalk.) I can't envision taking the job based on that alone!! The stress of a new job + rush-hour in the car + lack of bike commute.........dunno.

Glad you've got a chance to do stuff you enjoy, life without creativity and cycling would be especially difficult!

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of the compliments and feedback. Yes on the bike for sure/ exercise.

Christine, I understand that a lot. While I was working at downtown shop I had perfect bike commute and situation.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
its always a good feeling to use reclaimed parts for something new. and there is nothing like building something from scratch. especially if you can find a way to produce them on a larger scale once youre done. i find i do a lot of "prototypes" whee building, and constatly changing little things as i move t the next one.

hang in there, man. life can really suck sometimes...

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
like the industrial look a lot, Welcome back to RBR, (considering Facebook is turning into a political sespool)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts