Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I come here by way of MTBR - been on there for a while with the same user name - any of the MTBR guys post here?

I'm here because I'm currently building up my first road bike - a Gavia Imperiale (if that means anything to anyone).

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

Not quite done yet - I need to set up the front end (my spacers arrive in the post today), trim the fork steerer, fit the gear cables (brake cables are done - internal routing :mad2:), tape the bars, fit the chain and rear derailleur then set the whole thing up. Should be around 7kg when I'm done :D.

Its been a real experience - from finding out that 42mm valve stems and 38mm aero rims dont play well to getting covered in black dye from the Open Pave tyres + soapy water when tyre fitting (it took a few days to come off my hands!) and also great fun!

Just thought I would share:)

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Welcome. I came from MTBR as well, but haven't really posted there in years. Road bike has taken over in terms of biking hobby.

Sounds like you are a capable home mechanic, but if not check out Youtube for a ton of great videos for putting your own bike together.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, and welcome. I am new here too. I am switching to road bikes. I used to be on MTBR , but nowadays I only use my mountainbike in the winter when conditions are too bad for my roadbike :cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

I'm pretty much the same - I have a home made drop bar set up on my mtb (which I use as a commuter) - I'm very rarely on dirt or gravel these days (father of a small child, you see)...

Here is a picture of my home made drop bar mtb abomination. It does work, though, mind you...

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Thanks guys!

I'm pretty much the same - I have a home made drop bar set up on my mtb (which I use as a commuter) - I'm very rarely on dirt or gravel these days (father of a small child, you see)...

Here is a picture of my home made drop bar mtb abomination. It does work, though, mind you...

View attachment 313053
I think it looks kind of cool (and I'm an old retro roadie who generally prefers the look of very traditional frames).

Did you actually make that drop bar? How? It's quite unusual.

Welcome.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Welcome!

I too used to be at mtbr, but that's because my logic was "If my bike = mtb, then I need an account there for questions!". I really had no intentions of mountain biking outside of some fire roads, single tracks and gravel grinding :confused:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcome, guys!

The bar is a combination of a cut down carbon flat bar (to 460mm or so) with origin8 drop bar ends. The brake levers are just repurposed from the riser bar setup the bike came with and the shifters are positioned on the flat bar close to the drops and are actually usable from the drops.

The cool thing is that the drops are in the same position (reach and drop wise) as the hoods on the road bike, so apart from when I am gunning it in the drops on the road bike my position should be more or less unchanged...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok... Internal gear cabling is difficult. It is made more so by cheap ass soft frame inserts that deform and dissapear into the frame whilst youre trying to adjust the front deraileur.

I was flicking the gear shifter & watching the FD whilst trying to figure out why the front shift was (a) suddenly heavy and mushy and (b) not moving the chain to the outer chainring (its a 50 tooth so not technically a big ring) in the specified three clicks... Only to miss the fact that the frame insert and ferrule were sneakng into the top tube a click at a time... By the time I figured it out the insert was toast and the ferrule gone where no ferrule should go... Luckily the bke has Campag UT cranks - I popped off the NDS crank half and held the frame on its side whilst rattling it... Luckily the ferrule fell out of the BB. The soft insert thing? I have no idea where it is and quite frankly it can go to hell... I now have better hard plastic inserts, a bike that still isnt finished and an interesting story... Just need the time to finish the bloody job now...

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
Hey Ghost_HTX... WELCOME to RBR and the wonderful world of road riding.

I started riding road back in the 80's and went to mountain biking in mid 90's and went back to road back in 2009 when I purchased my second road bike.

Nice build, take your time with things update us when your done...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, shes finally finished! Used her to get to work today :)

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle fork

My first impressions;

At 7,3kg she is very light (compared to my other bikes) - this shows itself in the acceleration.
With a 400mm bar she is twitchy.
My knees brush the tops when climbing - I need to shift my body position slightly when climbing out of the saddle on the hoods.
Campag shifters have a reputation for having a "heavy" feel. This I can confirm.
25 mm tyres at 90psi are comfy - but not 2.2 inch tyres at 45 psi comfy...

All in all I am happy with it! My first road bike :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi regulation! My intention was to build a road bike for every day use that was *just* racy enough. Mainly because I like that sort of thing and my plan is to start racing after a while. I have signed up for my first road race (well, sportive) on 5th June...

The cool thing was that because I specced it myself I was able to keep both the weight and the cost down; the Campy Athena / Centaur gruppo is second hand and includes the carbon cranks and shifters. The Wheels are China Carbon specials what didn't break the bank and when they wear I'll just keep the Chosen hubs and order some nice rims.

The same frame off the shelf as part of a complete bike comes with full Ultegra 7800 and is a few 100g heavier than mine (even without pedals it is 7,5kg) and a few 100€ more expensive.

After a couple of rides I'm noticing a couple of other things; the gearing (even though it is compact - 50/36 with 12/25 on the back) is much bigger than I am used to. I'm finding myself using more of the cassette than I am used to. I am also noticing that even though the saddle is the correct one (same as my MTB and I have 1000's of km on that) my a** is killing me - I guess the low front end is making me rotate more on the saddle...

But good god it is bloody good fun!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts