Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what's the best option for a helmet camera or does this bad boy look like it's the best bet to wait for?

Oregon Scientific's new ATC9k sports camera has a double Mctwist's worth of tricks, starting with 1080p at 60 frames per second, GPS, accelerometer and water resistance to 60 feet.

Cost is $299

Sorry a helmet cam thread has been made, I searched!

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I just bolt my Canon SD1000 to my helmet & get good results

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
Your helmet is for protection

Don't fasten anything to it. An impact would punch through and cause a head injury. The leverage from snagging a helmet protrusion in a crash can snap your neck.....

·
3,494 Posts
In my opinion, 1080p and 60fps are currently over-kill for helmet cameras. The lens quality, the LCD shutter effect, the compression codec, vibration, lighting, and the reality of fast moving material are the limiters on image quality not the resolution. 1080p and 60fps will consume more flash memory, disk space and upload/download bandwidth. I understand why all the vendors are jumping to the big numbers and why consumers are buying them, but you need to have realistic expectations - you will not be generating BluRay quality movies with these.

There are other important factors to consider too - reliability, mounts, vibration management, video/audio formats, form factor, battery life-time, audio quality, support - and these details will only come out when the camera starts getting real-world use and reviews.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Fordy said:
Don't fasten anything to it. An impact would punch through and cause a head injury. The leverage from snagging a helmet protrusion in a crash can snap your neck.....
You're just making this up. I challenge you to cite one case of this actually happening.

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
Knock yourself out....

http://www.helmets.org/hodgstud.htm
This test, amongst others, is only 6-10 MPH. Results are conclusive that the helmets ability to slide is how the helmet protects against neck/spinal injuries. Make your own conclusions.

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Fordy said:
http://www.helmets.org/hodgstud.htm
This test, amongst others, is only 6-10 MPH. Results are conclusive that the helmets ability to slide is how the helmet protects against neck/spinal injuries. Make your own conclusions.
My conclusion is that I was right, you did make this up. The study cited did not test the effect of having a camera attached to the helmet. The test involved impact of the side of the helmet, not the top where a camera would be mounted. You would have to literally fall on the top of your head for the camera to hit the road first.

Furthermore, the study said nothing about a protrusion punching through the helmet and causing a head injury.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts