Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if the experts here can help me break down the subtle (or not so) differences in fit between the Big 3 (Bell, Giro, Specialized) and any of the smaller brands making a big name for themselves (Lazer, LAS, Uvex, Rudy Project, etc.).

I have experience with both Giro and Specialized helmets. Both size small. The Giro I need to crank the rear retention down on to get it snug. Seems to have more of an oval-ish fit. The Specialized is a snug fit with the rear retention all the way out and can be difficult at times to get a skull cap or bike cap under. Seems to have more of a round-ish fit.

Others share similar experiences? I'd love to be able to look into helmets that might not be immediately available locally to me to try on.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok, fair enough. I think a system like that would be helpful as well. I've yet to find a helmet to try on with such a system to compensate for different head shapes. Could you suggest some? It seems the Lazer Genesis has something like that, which I've heard good things about. I just don't feel like I've found the right fit yet. The Giro can be cranked down, which I don't think is ideal and the Specialized has its limitations. Would love to find the most comfortable helmet I can.

·
Descender
2,213 Posts
My experience with wearing and selling these is as follows - I have a very oval head -can't stand Giro - Bell fits great.

Bell - the most ovalized of the 3 you mentioned
Specialized - the middle fit of the 3
Giro - the most round of the 3

Bell and Giro have an adjustment device that you can operate with one hand (while riding). Specialized adjuster on most models needs 2 hands - you probably should stop to adjust.

Decide which kind of head you have by trying many models. If the helmet grips on the front of your head but not on the sides you probably have an oval head - vice versa for round.

Good luck

·
Registered
281 Posts
Whenever I buy a helmet, I want internal reinforcement and helmet-specific replacement pads, Sadly, Giro used to do this in their higher models, but NOT any longer! I feel cheated, it's like pulling teeth from any store that offers Giro helmets to get replacement pads for a specific helmet. I like the Roc Lock fit adjustment than Bell's GPS - I have a regular oval round head. Giro's higher models weigh less than Bell's - I heard that Limar has a 180 gram helmet, but I'm not sure of the details.

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
dhtucker4 said:
Whenever I buy a helmet, I want internal reinforcement and helmet-specific replacement pads, Sadly, Giro used to do this in their higher models, but NOT any longer! I feel cheated, it's like pulling teeth from any store that offers Giro helmets to get replacement pads for a specific helmet. I like the Roc Lock fit adjustment than Bell's GPS - I have a regular oval round head. Giro's higher models weigh less than Bell's - I heard that Limar has a 180 gram helmet, but I'm not sure of the details.
All you have to do is call, email, or send smoke signals to Giro, and they'll send you pads gratis.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Have a Giro Atmos now that is much better than the Bell Ghisello from before. The Bell would always slide down in front no matter how it was adjusted(straps and headband). The giro doesn't move even when it isn't buckled - just an experiment not common practice.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Helmet Fit

While waiting in the bike shop I tried on an LAS and found it the most comfortable fit ever. The adjustable strap in the back is both horizontal and vertical ensuring a snug but pleasant fit. The helmet also comes with removable summer and winter liners that can be washed. Included were two reflective strips that I placed in the back.

·
Registered
714 Posts
ortho

you said you liked the LAS fit; they have a one size fit all helmet. What other helmet mfgr's fit you well? And in what size?

I'm looking for a helmet to replace my crashed Bell Sweep R; thinking about a Lazer Blade/Genesis, LAS Kripton/Squalo/Hax, and just another Sweep R. I can't try any of these on (and know giro's don't fit me at all) so I'd love to get some info.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My first helmet was a bell because of the fit. The atmos was not comfortable at all. When I was looking for a helmet with more ventilation I tried on the inons and it fit like a glove. Something changed in the fitting. I have been riding it ever since and love it.

You just need to visit your lbs and try the models on you are interested in and see what works.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.