Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Giro Monza, and since this is my first helmet I wanted to know if this was ok. When I push on the front of the helmet near the bottom it will slide up over my head. Is that ok,is that the way it should be? Also how should the helmet feel on my head?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I'm unfamiliar with the Monza

I think it is the successor of the Eclipse. Anyway, is it a rock loc 3 system? I have always worn my helmets with the front just above the eyebrow and snugged them down to the point that it was tight and then backed off a click or 2. Side to side movement I wanted at a minimal 1/2 the width of my little finger in front of my ears. The strap underneath the chin is snug when I fully open my mouth.

You should feel that rock loc sort of grab at the oscipital sp? bone on the back of your head when you tighten it down. Also if you measure for your helmet with a tape measure right above the eyebrow around your head, compare that to the size given for that helmet. Some helmet fit round heads, some fit narrow eliptical shaped heads.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
I have a Pneumo, not a Monza. I snug mine down so that it fits pretty tight. The skin on your scalp is mobile. I wear mine so that if I grab the helmet and move it, the skin on my scalp moves with it. IMO, if you can slide it off withoun unbuckling it, it's too loose.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Rum_Runner1 said:
I just bought a Giro Monza, and since this is my first helmet I wanted to know if this was ok. When I push on the front of the helmet near the bottom it will slide up over my head. Is that ok,is that the way it should be? Also how should the helmet feel on my head?

Thanks
Way, way, way too loose. - TF

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what the hell

How tight do you need to put these things, I mean don't you guys cut off the cirrculation. If I wear it without the buckle and turn my head upsidedown, it doesn't slip off unless I shake it, and even that takes a while. It only slips off the back if you push up on it, or push low to the bottom. If this is the case then I need to take it back, cause it's a medium, and I have it strapped down all the way. I mean really how tight do these things need to be?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Rum_Runner1 said:
How tight do you need to put these things, I mean don't you guys cut off the cirrculation. If I wear it without the buckle and turn my head upsidedown, it doesn't slip off unless I shake it, and even that takes a while. It only slips off the back if you push up on it, or push low to the bottom. If this is the case then I need to take it back, cause it's a medium, and I have it strapped down all the way. I mean really how tight do these things need to be?
I bet there were instructions with it????

If you go down face first and it flips up over your head, what do you think your face is going to look like? If it isn't tight enough that it doesn't move, your wasting your money wearing one unless you expect something to fall on your head. When you fall, you are not going to hit the top of it - you're going to hit the front, back or sides. It has to stay put.

TF

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No it didn't

The helmet didn't come with directions the box was lost. When you wear the helmet it should be cocked down near your eyebrows correct? What I really trying to say is that when up on the helmet it slides up, like if put your hand under it and push up. If I push directly on the sides then is stays on.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Rum_Runner1 said:
The helmet didn't come with directions the box was lost. When you wear the helmet it should be cocked down near your eyebrows correct? What I really trying to say is that when up on the helmet it slides up, like if put your hand under it and push up. If I push directly on the sides then is stays on.
Manual:

http://www.giro.com/giro_downloads_manuals/giro_bike_owners_manual.pdf

Measure your head and get the correct size. Adjust the strap system per instructions. Adjust the strap tightness tight.

TF

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
A new helmet will take a lot of playing with the straps to get it right.

If you have the helmet on, and you push up on the front lip, it should not expose your forehead.

The "Roc Loc" system is for comfort and wobbling, not to keep it on.

The trick is to make sure the BACK straps are the right length first -- you'll have to feed a bunch through to the front to cinch it down enough, probably.

The tightening of the straps nearest the clip comes last.

The straps should make a neat triangle over your ear, and come down under your jaw. If you do it right you can have it very snug without any discomfort. Do it wrong and the straps will dig into your adam's apple or the back of your jawbone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.