Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Have any Grey Poupon????
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little assistance. I have a Giro Hex helmet. I have used it for about a year riding MTB with it and it works fine. However i have now made the switch to roadie and the helmet is starting to cause a little pain. The rear retention system deal seems to kinda dig in and cause the back of my head and neck to hurt when i ride extended periods crouched on the road bike.
I have loosened it up but then it slides around on my head.
I want to buy a new helmet for Road and i'll keep the hex for the mtb, but i was wondering if anyone has ever experienced this or knows how i may fix it.

I am about 5'8, 225pounds with a really big head and short neck.haha. I was hoping to find a helmet with retention system that doesn't hang so low. Any help is greatly appreciated.

My LBS is pretty small and doesn't have much to offer as far as helmets, and i dont really want a $20 academy helmet, i guess i'll spend up to around $100 on a new helmet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great question, I don’t have an answer however. I bet the answer relates to my post on aerodynamic helmets. I have noticed that when I am drafting in a peloton and tucked down my visor is a bit of a problem. Perhaps that is changing the way you hold your head and causing the helmet to dig in.

But like I said I am not sure. Very interested in what other will say about this. Hope there are folks out there smarter than me with all the answers!

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
comanche1680 said:
Great question, I don’t have an answer however. I bet the answer relates to my post on aerodynamic helmets. I have noticed that when I am drafting in a peloton and tucked down my visor is a bit of a problem. Perhaps that is changing the way you hold your head and causing the helmet to dig in.

But like I said I am not sure. Very interested in what other will say about this. Hope there are folks out there smarter than me with all the answers!
Hey, comanche, you have discovered the only real difference between road and mtb helmets. the visor gets in the way sometimes when you're in an aero position. It's the nature of road riding -- when you get really low, you have to look up . If it's really a problem for you, and it makes it hard to see adequately on the road, you might have to dispense with the cool-looking visor -- but not for aerodynamic reasons.

jeeper, there's really no solution but trying on helmets until you find one that works. You may have to search out more shops. Your big head and short neck just don't match up with that helmet and that riding position.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
If you have a Performance store near you try shopping there. If not use their site on the internet www.performance.com. The only reason I'm suggestion this is because they have a good variety from which to choose, and if you don't like what you bought you can return it no questions asked. They have the best return policy ever.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts