Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a manufacturer that makes and sells helmets for oval-shaped heads? i'm having the hardest time finding a decent helmet to fit my melon. most that fit front-to-back have so much side-to-side play that the helmet rocks and rattles around way too much. i'm looking in the $100-$200 market.
right now i'm on an old catlike compact 2, which doesn't fit nearly as well as the compact i was forced to replace...due to the whole euro v us crash-test compatibility.
any thoughts??
thanks!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just spent an hour at my lbs trying on different helmets and styles. no luck with the giro pnuemo, e2, eclipse, or atmos. no go with any of the bell models either.
i'd rather find one that fits, instead of making one fit by adding additional material or foam pads.
thanks anyway.

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
I have a large oval shaped head as well (on the large side of 7 5/8). I wear the Limar helmets. Love them. Last season I was in a 707, after my crash it was replaced by Limar with a 907 (not a bad replacement if you ask me). The 907 actually fits better than the 707 did. My commuter helmet is a Limar 610 and it fits me nicely too. Not quite as nice as the 907 though. The 907 even has enough room under it for me to wear a cycling cap.

If you can find any of those around, I highly recommend you try one on.

· n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Bells fit oval heads like mine well. You have to mess with the pads, that's what they're for. I also like Bell's GPS system but most manufacturers have something similar. The only way to know what fits your head is to try on a bunch of helmets. It's time consuming because few stores carry more than two brands in high end helmets but that's the way it is.

· i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
Ditto Limar. I have used the 105/505/705 model for the last four years and it's great. You can sometimes snag them from Nashbar for like $39. The best deal on a helmet in cycling, if you ask me.

I can't get any Giro or Specialized to fit to save my life. Bell's fit pretty well, but they give me the major mushroom head look.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
still looking

still looking for a good (fitting) helmet. the list goes on and on. i've gone through all the giros, bells, specialized, louis garneaux (sp?), limar, and uvex available in central texas bike shops. my lbs has the limar 950 on order for his stock and i'll try that when it comes in. the only ones i can't seem to find that i'd like to try are lazers. anyone know if/where they're available??
thanks,
j

· Registered
453 Posts
QBP has laser helmets, you might ask your LBS to order you one to try it. You could sell it on eBay and get most/all of your money back if you don't like it, they're kind of hard to find. They also have a dealer list on their site if you want to look there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.