Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would you suggest and why?

If a bar mirror, would you suggest the one that attaches at the bar end or the one that attaches to the hood?

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've been using round bar end mirrors on the left side for 20+ years. I guess I like those kind. I've never liked the idea of a spindly mirror thingy that could impale my eye in a fall. Not that I've ever heard of that happening, just doesn't look like a good idea to me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bar End:

I've never been able to get a helmet or glasses mirror to work for me.

I do better with a bar end mirror. I have found a couple that are solid enough and give a pretty good view.

There is one that is rubber and is glued to the bar end and then wrapped under the tape. It is very solid, but the adjustment is limited. If the bottom of the drops are close to parallel to the road it will work great, but my drops are tipped down to much for it to work for me.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I like the helmet mount as I ride a couple of different bikes. I have tried all types of helmet mirrors. The Cycleware helmet version works best for me. I reinforce the connection points (e.g., the pivot point between the mirror body and the stalk) with electrical tape so that the mirror does not fall out easily.

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/cycle-aware-reflex-helmet-mirror

I can also easily pop out the mirror assembly and leave it off the helmet on days when I do not need a mirror (e.g., on race days).

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Helmet or eyeglass mount. Take-a-look to be specific. Closer proximity of the mirror to your eye yields a wider view and you can scan a wide area behind you by rotating your head a bit.

Downside is always hitting it with something, and the remote possibility it somehow injures you in a crash, which must be balanced against its relative merits.

Upside it makes you look like a wise veteran high-mileage cyclist. Posers and racer wannabees think mirrors are not stylish.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
looigi said:
Upside it makes you look like a wise veteran high-mileage cyclist. Posers and racer wannabees think mirrors are not stylish.
I'm neither a racer or a poser. I just call guys with mirrors "Fred."

I honestly cannot see the need. I can hear cars and what direction. I can even tell what size car or truck is coming from behind. Looking behind me is simple for me. So, I don't see the need.

The only need I could see is a rider who has some neck movement problems.

Then again, if you blow by me on some climb, and has 4 mirrors, I'm not commenting.......... It doesn't matter what someone is wearing or has attached the bike if he just blew by you like you were standing still

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
try the helmet mount first. You get the widest field of view, and it's useable regardless of your position on the bike.

But some people can't get the hang of those (me included -- too much distortion with my myopia specs). I use the bar-end mounted mirrors. Not ideal placement, but you get the hang of it.

I think mirrors are enormously useful, and make riding in traffic much safer and more enjoyable.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Could never use these things. I tried but I just couldn't get used not turning my head and checking what is behind me.

·
Born to chase Ducks
2,736 Posts
Frame Mount!

I didn't like the idea of having a helmet mount for fear of the mirror blocking my forward or peripheral vision, and got tired of knocking the handlebar end mirror out of adjustment, and went looking for something else. I found the Bike-Eye frame mount mirror that I like very much. They have videos of it in use at www.bike-eye.com , but I got mine from Harris Cyclery, who imports it to the US (Sheldon Brown's old haunt, no pun intended).

View attachment 228852

View attachment 228853

View attachment 228854

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I've been using the same Bike Peddler Take-A-Look eye glass mount mirror for 12 years. I have gone down twice wearing them with no mishaps. I would not wear anything else.

I won't get into the debate on the "Fred" aspect of wearing mirrors. I've seen some cyclists do some pretty scary stuff as they have no clue that a car was behind them.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I've tried quite a few

Always end up with a Take a look that I attach to the outside of my helmet. The image is stable and wide and because of the close proximity of the mirror to my eye, I get the best image compared to any i have tried.

Anyone who feels that having a mirror that close to your eye is going to be impaled by it in a crash, I think we would have heard about such an incident by now, that would be a rather spectacular product fail and the product would be pulled from the market by now.

A mirror is nothing more than piece of safety equipment, just like a helmet or gloves. Without one I'm only seeing/being aware of about 60% of my riding environment. Those that think they don't swerve when looking behind themselves are kidding themselves. Sure you can minimize the effect, but I can get a full picture of the rear with a small eye movement vs turning my head looking back, turning forward and processing what i saw and reacting if anything needs adjusting while I now look forward. the whole process is so much faster with a mirror.

Speaking of the hood mounted number, I once upon a time had a crash with one of those, the mount was made of metal of some type. The mirror tore off the mount and left it as a sharpened dagger of metal that cut me on the inside of my wrist near all the major blood vessels, not badly, it was a near miss.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Bar end mirrors can be dangerous because you will either be fiddling with them to get the correct angle, or having to take the bike off a straight course to accomplish the same thing while riding. It's a fixed angle this way and just makes it a hassle sometimes. A helmet mounted mirror is best because if you need to adjust the angle you just slightly move your head.

Asside from that I personly don't think they are even close to being necessary or extremely helpful in the first place. It's easy enough to tilt your head for a split second to get a peripheral view of what is behind you. I also prefer this because it forces your ear to turn back for a good listen, also. In addition to that, it's a nice little neck stretch.

·
Born to chase Ducks
2,736 Posts
RJP Diver said:
Looks like it would give a great view of my leg...

:confused:
Also good for admiring your quads.... :idea:

While it's true while pedaling, your leg is going to get in the way of your view on the down stroke, but when your leg is at the top of your stroke, you have a pretty clear view out the back. If you pause your pedal stroke with your leg on the mirror side up (left side on my bike, it can be mounted to either side) you have clear view for as long as you choose to coast. What I saw in the video's on the manufacturer's website sold me on trying it. There was a truck overtaking and it was almost like using the mirrors on your car. You see it approach, start to overtake, then you see the truck as it passes the rider (not in the mirror, but in the rider's forward field of vision), just when and where you would expect to it to be, based on what you had seen coming in the mirror.

The mirror is flat, not convex, so you don't have any issues judging distance or relative location, and it is an actual glass mirror, so it is clear enough that you can actually tell what kind of car is overtaking you. It's clear enough you can actually read the license plate on the front of the car. It also has a pretty good side to side range -- just move your head.

I got mine last fall, and it works just as advertised. Since then, they have redesigned the mirror to be more rectangular, and there is a wider version available as well.

Works well for me. YMMV.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The mirrors on my motorcycle give excellent views... of my elbows, and being convex and vibrating, make everything so small and fuzzy that I can't tell the most import thing, is it a cop car or just car with a roof rack. Some kind of helmet mounted mirror would be just the ticket. Maybe I can stick on a Take-a-look. Having to stand up to 150+ mph wind might prove problematic.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't really care about being a Fred. My older commuter had a mirror and it was great addition. I got a bar mounted mirror this time that attaches to the hood - this was before I had a chance to read through everyone elses opinion on the helmet mount (but I don't think I am veteran enough yet). I'm not really sure this will be the one but I am willing to try it. I'm less than 7 miles from Harris so maybe I'll stop by and chat with the guys there too.

If this bar one isn't adequate I may get the helmet mount - what everyone said about their advantages makes a lot of sense.

Thanks.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
ziscwg said:
I'm neither a racer or a poser. I just call guys with mirrors "Fred."

I honestly cannot see the need. I can hear cars and what direction. I can even tell what size car or truck is coming from behind. Looking behind me is simple for me. So, I don't see the need.

The only need I could see is a rider who has some neck movement problems.

Then again, if you blow by me on some climb, and has 4 mirrors, I'm not commenting.......... It doesn't matter what someone is wearing or has attached the bike if he just blew by you like you were standing still
I always use a mirror. I'm 68, have problems turning my neck that far in either direction & I can't hear s**t. Does that qualify?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.