Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Bell X-Ray has a forehead pad that is just about done. Is there any material that can be cut to the shape of the original that works well?

I called Bell, and they do not support this model any more, even though I just got it about a year ago on closeout. They referred me to Weber Sports, but they don't offer pads for the X-Ray either. I guess this could be a good excuse for a new lid in the spring, but I already have 2.

Suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Most helmets come with extra pads for customizing the fit, and I've always saved the extras when buying for myself or the family. I have a big bag of foam pads of various shapes and sizes, and I can always make something fit when a pad wears out. They don't have to be the exact same shape -- they just have to work comfortably.

Do you have any old helmets around? If not, you might try a crafts or sewing-supply store, where you can find foam rubber of various consistencies and thicknesses. Get some stick-on velcro, and you can probably improve on the original pads.

·
Registered
335 Posts
since i started wearing a skull cap under my helmet i haven't had a pad disintegrate on me. i used to go through a bunch.
maybe a skull cap would provide sufficient padding for you?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Do you have any old helmets around? If not, you might try a crafts or sewing-supply store, where you can find foam rubber of various consistencies and thicknesses. Get some stick-on velcro, and you can probably improve on the original pads.[/QUOTE]

I've used craft-store foam myself to add some padding where the helmet had none to make my helmet more comfortable. However, when it comes time to get replacement pads, the extra money spent on a Giro helmet is well worth it. I'll called several times requesting to purchase new pads for a Giro, and they don't sell them-they simply send them out free of charge, not even a charge for shipping. THANKS GIRO!!

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the skull cap idea. Who wants to buy an entire new helmet to replace a 2x4cm pad? I admit, a new ultralight lid might be nice, but the x-ray is just fine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
hardware store

In addition to the headsweat, which is a standard piece of equipment for me......get a roll of 3/8" thick window foam that is sticky on one side. Simply cut to the desired length and thickness for the application. under $5 and you'll have plenty for a year or five.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts