Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm considering 4 different helmets.

1. Giro Atmos
2. Giro Pneumo
3. Bell Sweep R
4. Rudy Project Kontakt

I currently use a Giro Boreas and look like Toad from Super Mario Brothers because the profile isn't that small.

My LBS didn't have all of them to compare side by side, so I was wondering if anyone here knew which of these have the smallest profile? I plan on purchasing them off of ebay, and am leaning towards the Atmos, but am drawn to the Pneumo and Sweep R due to their price.

Thanx!
Jay

EDIT: Are there any differences between the '05 & '06 Giro helmets?

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
I used to wear a Limar 707, upgraded to the Sweep R. Both excellent, though the Bell's fit is a bit more secure. I didnt really like the Atmos or Pneumo, they didnt let through much more air (if any more) than the Sweep R or 707, and their fit systems pissed me off. The RocLoc retention system requires two hands (if i rmemeber right, well, it took me two hands) and drove me nutty. The Bell and Limar take only one hand. The Bell, i can adjust ears, and helmet, really easily. the Limar i couldnt get the ears that great, but the helmet i could. Bell's retention system is really nice, it doesnt seem to go in clicks... like, i can get a half click in and have a more secure fit. *shrugs* it's nice :D

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
also i think you can get the limar for around 70 bucks now, they seem to have been on sale for the last two years. nashbar, performance, et al. Just google it, and it'll pop up, almost all retailers will give you 65 bucks, 70 bucks, sans shipping, so more like 75 bucks, which is a pretty nice price, i must say.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The Giros and Bells are shaped very differently. One of them will fit your head shape better than the other. The only way is to try them on. I own a Pneumo and a Sweep R, with the latter fitting my head. YMMV...possibly alot.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Aside from whatever fits you, it's hard to make a bad choice between the helmets you mentioned. I find that Giro's tend to run a bit larger than Bells. I like the way they fit, too. But everybody's different.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the Giro Pneumo and upgraded to the Sweep R. The Bell has a smaller profile than the Pneumo and, for me, a better fit. The Atmos is a nice helmet, but do you really want to ride around looking like a Lance wanna-be? As for buying off ebay, I would go to your LBS and try them on before purchasing. And when you are there, go ahead and buy it.

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
Why do so many helmets that claim to be LOW PROFILE actually sit on your head like a ginormous bulbous mushroom that looks FROOTIE as heck? I just bought the new Ironman Kona helmet and feel like I've got a midget (little person) on my head. I like the way it sits on my brow, but dang its' tall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rudy!

Its funny you posted this thread as I had the same dilemma as you. I had a pneumo and despite the 'sleek' claims, the thing looked like I had a mixing bowl on my head. Just yesterday I went down to the LBS and tried on all the helmets you have listed. I ended up buying the Rudy. In all honesty, the helmet is awesome. The profile is slim, it fits well, and is $80 cheaper than the atmos. I could have afforded the atmos no problem, but I liked the look of the Rudy better. I just didnt see the value of spending the money for the atmos. The retention system on the rudy is better imo, because its a single knob that you crank. I went out for a ride last night and venting was just as good as the pneumo. I am very happy with my purchase. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts